For any construction or renovations that involve electrical and natural gas service, complete a service application.
For new or upgraded wiring, obtain an electrical permit and arrange for a wiring inspection.
Electrical and natural gas service application
To request new electrical or natural gas service, or changes to your existing service, complete and submit a service application and site plan diagram.
Electrical permits and inspections
For property inside Winnipeg city limits
- visit the City of Winnipeg Planning, Property and Development website;
- call the City of Winnipeg at 311.
For property outside Winnipeg city limits
Arrange for electrical wiring permits and inspections from Manitoba Hydro for:
- any new building, renovation or addition;
- the installation of any electrical equipment;
- any alteration, repair, or extension of any electrical equipment.
Before any electrical work is started, you must have an electrical permit.
- To obtain an electrical permit, complete an Electrical Permit Application (PDF, 28 KB) and submit it to your local Manitoba Hydro Customer Service Centre. Electrical contractors can submit their applications online through ePermit.
- View electrical permit fees (PDF, 38 KB).
- View electrical codes, standards, and guides.
By law, all electrical wiring in Manitoba must be inspected to ensure compliance with local bylaws and the Manitoba Electrical Code (PDF, 326 KB). All wiring must be visible for inspection and all electrical equipment must be approved.
For inquiries about electrical equipment approval:
- Email Electrical Codes and Standards or phone 204-360-7483.
- Manitoba Office of the Fire Commissioner
Inspections and Technical Services
500–401 York Ave.
Winnipeg MB R3C 0P8
For inquiries about service applications:
For inquiries about electrical permits and inspections: