For a new home or renovations that involve electrical and natural gas service, complete a service application.
For new or upgraded wiring, obtain an electrical permit and arrange for a wiring inspection.
Electrical and natural gas service application
To request new electrical or natural gas service, or changes to your existing service, complete and submit a service application and site plan diagram.
Electrical permits and inspections
For property inside Winnipeg city limits
- visit the City of Winnipeg Planning, Property and Development website;
- call the City of Winnipeg at 311.
For property outside Winnipeg city limits
For property outside Winnipeg city limits, arrange for electrical wiring permits and inspections from Manitoba Hydro for:
- any new building, renovation or addition;
- any outbuilding (including detached garages, carports, sheds, etc.);
- swimming pool or hot tub (with a pump or water heater) installation;
- furnace and air conditioner installation or replacement.
Before any electrical work is started, you must have an electrical permit.
- To obtain an electrical permit, complete an Electrical Permit Application (PDF, 28 KB) and submit it to your local Manitoba Hydro Customer Service Centre. Electrical contractors can submit their applications online through ePermit.
- View electrical permit fees (PDF, 38 KB).
- View electrical codes, standards, and guides.
- Guideline for Residential developers and homebuilders (PDF, 989 KB).
By law, all electrical wiring in Manitoba must be inspected to ensure compliance with local bylaws and the Manitoba Electrical Code (PDF, 326 KB). All wiring must be visible for inspection and all electrical equipment must be approved.
To make an appointment for a residential wiring inspection or to ask about service applications and electrical inspections: