Defining Visible Minorities for Declaration Purposes
The following definition (from the Employment Equity Act) is used on the Self Declaration Form that Manitoba Hydro gives to all of its employees.
Members of a visible minority group means persons, other than Aboriginal peoples, who are non-Caucasian in race, or non-white in colour.
- Non-white Latin American (includes Indigenous persons from Central and South America, etc.)
- Other Pacific Islanders
- South Asian/East Indian (includes Indians from India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, East Indian from Guyana, Trinidad, East Africa, etc.)
- Non-white West Asian, North African, or Arab (includes Egyptian, Libyan, Lebanese, Iranian, etc.)
- Southeast Asian (includes Burmese, Cambodian, Laotian, Thai, Vietnamese, etc.)
- Other Visible Minority Groups