What does a General Accountant do?
As a General Accountant, you will:
- Perform a variety of accounting or auditing work;
- Receive and process for payment all invoices following established procedures and guidelines;
- Assist other processing staff as needed;
- Independently interpret terms of payment and exercise sound judgement and decision making in processing vendor payments;
- Establish long-term cooperative relationships with Purchasing staff, receivers of goods and other areas of the corporation who are Accounts Payable customers;
- Establish excellent working relationships with Manitoba Hydro's suppliers;
- Maintain current knowledge of Corporate policies, procedures and regulations related to the processing of invoices for payment;
- Practice continuous improvement by analyzing internal processes and being alert for innovative opportunities in daily work.
Manitoba Hydro requires that you be a graduate of:
- Bachelor of Commerce degree from a recognized University; OR
- Completion of three (3) courses towards a recognized Accounting designation with one (1) year related experience.
Are there any other requirements?
You must also:
- Have the ability to make judgements by applying facts in situations to accounting principles through investigation and analysis of source material;
- Have the ability to communicate effectively with staff at all levels throughout the Corporation;
- Have good customer service skills;
- Have the ability to organize and plan own work flows with a minimum of supervision, utilizing sound judgement in discretionary areas.
If you are registered and interested in a career as a General Accountant, you can set up a job alert from your personal start page by selecting "Accounting/Finance" as your area of interest and/or by entering a few key words such as the title above.