Brandon Generating Station
- Original in service date 1958;
- Capacity 327 MW;
- 2 natural gas-fired units, 1 coal-fired unit;
- Fuelled by Powder River sub-bituminous coal and natural gas. Diesel fuel as backup for natural gas units.
Among Manitoba Hydro's 17 generating stations, the station located in Brandon is the only one using a mix of fuel sources, coal and natural gas. The other 15 use water energy to produce power, with Selkirk recently converted from coal to natural gas.
The addition of 2 natural gas-fuelled combustion turbine units in the summer of 2002, added over 250 MW to the station's capacity making it the 5th largest generating station in the province.
Brandon Generating Station stands on the south bank of the Assiniboine River on the east side of the City of Brandon, which is located about 200 kilometres west of the City of Winnipeg.
For more information, email Public Affairs.