McArthur Generating Station
In 1952, 50 years after the waters of the Winnipeg River were first used for the generation of electricity, construction began on McArthur Falls Generating Station. Its 8 turbine generators (called units) have a 54 MW capacity and can produce, when water conditions are ideal, an average of about 380 million kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity per year.
Now known as McArthur Generating Station, it is the smallest and newest of the 6 generating stations operating on the Winnipeg River.
McArthur is located about 120 km northeast of the City of Winnipeg.
- Construction started 1952;
- Construction completed 1955;
- Cost $24 million;
- Capacity 56 MW;
- Average annual generation 380 million kWh;
- Waterfall drop 7 metres;
- Powerhouse 177 metres long;
- 8 turbine generators (units) (each turns at 85.7 rpm);
- First unit in service 1954;
- Units’ discharge capacity 996 m3/s of water;
- Forebay area 115 km2;
- Forebay’s normal water level 254.8 metres;
- 8 spillway gates, each measuring 13.1 metres wide and 11.3 metres tall (structure is .8 km east of powerhouse);
- Spillway’s discharge capacity 4,528 m3/s of water;
- Transmission lines:
- 2 115-kV (one each to Pine Falls and Seven Sisters generating stations).