Pine Falls Generating Station
Construction of the Pine Falls Generating Station, on the lower stretch of the Winnipeg River, began in the late 1940s in an effort to keep the supply of electricity ahead of the demand, which was exceeding all earlier estimates by the province’s power planners. It was a dynamic time when industry and agriculture in Manitoba were rapidly expanding.
Pine Falls, next to the town of Powerview, is the last generating station to use the Winnipeg River’s abundant waters before reaching Lake Winnipeg at Traverse Bay, only 13 km away. The generating station is located about 119 km northeast of the City of Winnipeg.
- Construction started 1949;
- Construction completed 1952;
- Cost $23.5 million;
- Capacity 84 MW;
- Average annual generation 620 million kWh;
- Waterfall drop 11.3 metres;
- Powerhouse 151 metres long;
- 6 turbine generators (units) (each turns at 94.7 rpm);
- First unit in service 1952;
- Units’ discharge capacity 917 m3/s of water;
- Forebay area 9 km2;
- Forebay’s normal water level 229.2 metres;
- 6 spillway gates: length 95.5 metres;
- Spillway’s discharge capacity 3,396 m3/s of water;
- Transmission lines:
- 6 115-kV (1 each to the Great Falls and McArthur generating stations, 2 each to Parkdale and the Manitoba Paper Company);
- 2 66-kV (1 to Grand Beach, 1 to Lake Winnipeg).
Winnipeg River generating stations: Pine Falls
Watch a short video on the history and development of this generating station.