Pointe du Bois Generating Station
Pointe du Bois Generating Station is located on the Winnipeg River, approximately 160 km northeast of Winnipeg, by road. This is currently the oldest power plant still in operation on the river. The Pointe du Bois Generating Station was built by City Hydro, later known as Winnipeg Hydro, and acquired by Manitoba Hydro in 2002.
- Construction started 1909;
- Construction completed 1926;
- Cost $3.25 million;
- Capacity 75 MW;
- Average annual generation 599 million kWh;
- Waterfall drop 14 metres;
- Powerhouse 135 metres long;
- 16 turbine generators (15 double horizontal shaft Francis Turbines and 1 Straflo turbine);
- First unit in service 1911;
- Transmission lines:
- 4 69-kV lines that run from Pointe du Bois to Rover Avenue;
- 2 138-kV lines that run from Pointe du Bois to Slave Falls.
Winnipeg River generating stations: Pointe du Bois
Watch a short video on the history and development of this generating station.