Research & development
We invest in research and development in order to generate direct operational and/or economic benefits to the corporation. This includes:
- investigating the application of new technologies;
- developing new methods, procedures, or products to carry out work more efficiently or safely;
- gaining specific knowledge about our environment to enhance our design and/or operating practices.
We also participate in industry interest groups, like the Centre for Energy Advancement through Technological Innovation and the Electric Power Research Institute. Participation in these research groups:
- allows our investments to be leveraged by jointly funding projects with other utilities with similar interests and issues;
- facilitates collaboration of industry professionals and experts.
Academic institutions play a significant role in our research endeavours. Funding is provided to undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral projects of direct interest and benefit to the corporation. Most of these projects are cost-shared with other funding agencies such as the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) and MITACS. We are funding 3 NSERC Industrial Research Chairs in the areas of Power System Simulation, Alternative Energy, and Water Resources. Read more about our collaboration with NSERC on climate change research:
- Climate Change Report (PDF, 2.8 MB);
- Projected Climate Change Impacts on Energy and Peak Demand in Manitoba (PDF, 2.6 MB).
- Email Manager of Research and Development.
- Phone 204-360-3221
- Manitoba Hydro
Research & Development
360 Portage Ave.
Winnipeg MB R3C 0G8
Read more about us