Carbon monoxide poisoning

Symptoms

Symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning are similar to those of the flu. As a result, many cases of CO poisoning may be left unreported and untreated during flu season.

If carbon monoxide is inhaled, it depletes the amount of oxygen in your red blood cells. Depending on the amount inhaled and the length of time you have been exposed, your symptoms could include the following:

  • Low exposure – slight headache and /or shortage of breath during moderate physical activity.
  • Higher exposure – severe headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, mental confusion, weakness, vision and hearing impairment, collapse or fainting during exertion, loss of muscle control, and/or drowsiness.
  • Extreme exposure – unconsciousness, brain damage, or death.

If any member of your household is affected (feeling unwell, or a child, elderly or pregnant), or if you have symptoms that go away when you leave your home, you should suspect the presence of CO and take immediate action – leave the home immediately and call 911 or your local emergency services.

If your CO detector activates but you have no apparent symptoms of CO poisoning, no one in your building is a child, elderly or pregnant, and you suspect detector malfunction, open all doors and windows to ventilate the area and contact us at 1-888-624-9376.

Our 24-hour emergency numbers: