The individual who is responsible for overall building operation and maintenance, and for dealing with emergencies. Their duties vary depending on the type of building but, in general, they:
- monitor the performance of heating, electrical, mechanical and security systems and trouble-shoot problems;
- report problems and recommend changes to improve efficiency, reduce operating costs or comply with environmental, building and safety codes;
- perform routine equipment maintenance tasks and keep maintenance records;
- monitor access to restricted areas such as the roof and telecommunications equipment and ensure that they are kept safe, clean, functional and accessible;
- respond to complaints from building tenants and act as a liaison between tenants and owners;
- supervise the work of maintenance personnel and contractors hired to make repairs.
Building operators often use computers to monitor equipment performance and for administrative tasks.