Power Smart Shops
Power Smart Shops helps small, independent businesses reduce their energy and water consumption to save money and energy. If you own a restaurant, grocery store, retail store, convenience or service shop, small office or other small business, you may qualify for:
- free onsite installations of:
- low-flow bathroom and kitchen faucet aerator(s);
- ENERGY STAR® certified LED screw-in lamps to replace 40W and 60W incandescent lamps;
- low-flow pre-rinse spray valves.
- a free lighting assessment that will identify opportunities to save energy;
- increased financial incentives to upgrade and retrofit lighting.
- lower energy and water bills;
- lower operating and maintenance costs;
- less energy use, which helps conserve non-renewable resources and reduce greenhouse gas emissions;
- improved comfort.
In order to qualify for the Power Smart Shops program, your small business must meet the following criteria:
- you operate a small, independent business;
- your business is not a national franchise or chain;
- you pay for at least one utility (gas or electricity) either directly to Manitoba Hydro or through a property manager;
- you are billed at the commercial electric general service rate*;
- your business has 6 locations or fewer within Manitoba;
- each location occupies no more than 10,000 square feet;
- on average, your electricity or natural gas bill is less than $20,000/year and your typical annual energy consumption is:
- Restaurants and convenience stores < 300,000 kWh/yr and < 45,000 m3/yr
- All other small businesses (retail, dental, office etc) < 100,000 kWh/yr and < 10,000 m3/yr.
* Home offices and businesses located in residential homes billed at the residential rate are not eligible.
For a complete list of program terms and conditions, contact us.
If you are not eligible for Power Smart Shops, you may still be eligible for other Power Smart for Business programs.
How to take part
Free energy saving items such as LED bulbs, faucet aerators, and pre-rinse spray valves may be installed in your business at no cost to you. Contact us to have one of our qualified contractors visit your business:
Increased financial incentives to upgrade and retrofit inefficient lighting
Your lighting system may account for anywhere from 30 to 60 per cent of your energy costs. Upgrade to energy efficient lighting to help lower the operating costs of your business. Power Smart Shops focuses on simple low-cost lighting retrofits. Our increased financial incentive will pay up to 70 per cent of the cost of your lighting project for eligible measures
The incentive will apply to project costs including the cost of the materials, labour, electrical permits, and taxes. Customers can apply to finance the remaining project cost or the eligible amount, through our Commercial PAYS Program.
To qualify for an enhanced incentive, you must meet the eligibility requirements for the Power Smart Shops program along with the program terms and conditions outlined on the application forms and must be a Manitoba Hydro customer billed at the electrical general service rate. You must participate in the Power Smart Shops Program and use the program delivery contractor for qualifying lighting retrofits. All Power Smart Shops lighting retrofit applications require pre-approval by the program prior to installation. Your lighting must operate for a minimum of 2,000 hours per year (approximately 8 hours per day, 5 days per week). Lighting operating between 1,000 and 1,999 hours per year may qualify for prorated incentives. All lighting installations must meet Manitoba Electrical Code (PDF, 534 KB) requirements. A separate permit is required for each installation, address, or location. For example, a business with 3 separate offices that are undergoing lighting retrofits requires 3 separate electrical permits.