Power Smart Affordable Energy Program
Our Affordable Energy Program makes it easy to save energy, improve the comfort of your home, and save money.
This program can help if you are:
- a homeowner with a limited income and think energy efficient upgrades for your home are too costly or hard to do;
- a home renter with a limited income, we can work with your landlord to have energy efficient upgrades done to the house you live in;
- a landlord interested in energy efficient upgrades which can increase the value of your property and reduce the energy consumption of your tenants.
For more details on qualifying, read our Eligibility Criteria.
If you are interested applying, read How to Take Part.
An energy advisor will come to your home or rental property to review the energy efficiency of the home and explain how the program works. During the energy efficiency review, the advisor will provide you with free basic energy efficient items, such as low-flow showerheads and compact fluorescent lights.
Based on the results of the energy efficiency review, qualifying homeowners and landlords may receive the following upgrades.
Free insulation for:
Heating system upgrades:
- High efficiency natural gas furnace for $9.50 per month for 5 years* ($570 total cost). A home renter may also qualify but the furnace cost of $9.50 per month for 5 years will be the responsibility of the landlord.
- A $3,000 rebate* towards the purchase of a qualifying high efficiency natural gas boiler. In the case of home renters, the landlord will receive a $3,000 rebate.
The existing furnace/boiler must be a standard efficiency natural gas furnace (60 per cent) to qualify for the upgrade. Contact us if you are interested in upgrading your alternative fuel heating source (e.g. fuel oil, propane) in an area without natural gas service.
Free energy-saving items:
- low-flow showerheads;
- faucet aerators;
- energy efficient lighting.
The program also has a community outreach element called the Neighbourhood Power Smart Project.
Read the landlord terms and conditions.
Read about how you can save with energy efficient boilers and furnaces.
*This offer is subject to change at any time.