Power Smart Refrigerator Retirement Program
Running a second fridge that's more than 15 years old can use between 1000 and 2000 kilowatt-hours per year; that's more than $100 annually on your energy bill. Participate in our Power Smart Refrigerator Retirement Program and we will pick up your second refrigerator or your freezer for free and give you $40. Determine if your fridge or freezer qualifies, and then phone 1-855-5FRIDGE (1-855-537-4343) to schedule an appointment.
This program offers an easy and convenient way to get rid of your second fridge, save you money and ensure your appliance is recycled responsibly.
|How Your Fridge is Recycled
||Running time (2:52)|
Learn about why you should recycle your old fridge and what happens to it after we pick it up.
Does Your Fridge or Freezer Qualify?
To qualify for a pickup, refrigerator(s) and/or freezer(s) must be:
- in working condition (capable of cooling);
- at least 15 years old;
- Most refrigerators and freezers have a manufacturer's sticker on the back or inside at the bottom portion of the ledge by the door. The date is usually included in the numbers written on the sticker.
- approximately 10 cubic feet or larger;
- To determine the size of your unit, measure and multiply the depth x width x height (in feet) of the fridge compartment and the freezer compartment. Add the two numbers together to give the total size in cubic feet. Example:
- fridge compartment: 2.1'D x 2.2'W x 3.1'H = 14.32 cubic feet;
- freezer compartment: 2.2'D x 2.0'W x 1.0'H = 4.4 cubic feet;
- 14.32 + 4.44 = 18.76 cubic foot total.
- located at your primary service address in a single family dwelling. Seasonal residences, condominiums, apartments, and businesses do not qualify.
Up to three appliances per residence will be accepted.
Find out if you are eligible and how to take part.
Appliances That Are Not Working
Outside of Winnipeg, contact your local municipality for disposal options.
- Phone the City of Winnipeg at 311 to request a pickup or visit the City of Winnipeg Water and Waste website for more information about pickup requests and fees.
- Drop off your appliance at the Brady Road Landfill. For information on hours and fees, visit the Brady Road Landfill website.
- Drop off your appliance at Jaco Eco Solutions (JES) at 560 Messier Avenue between 8:00 am and 3:00 pm, Monday to Friday (closed holidays). JES accepts non-working appliances as well as appliances that don't meet the program eligibility requirements. Hot water tanks, de-humidifiers, and air-conditioners are also accepted on a drop-off basis for recycling. This is a free service and no incentives or rebates will be provided. All units will be recycled responsibly. For more information, phone JES at 204-233-7204.