Installing energy efficient lighting products in your home is an easy way to save energy and money. There are many light bulbs on the market today – before you go to the store, learn more about your best options.
LED (light emitting diode) bulbs are the newest and most energy efficient lighting option available. LEDs last a long time and save you money. There's an LED bulb for all fixtures – in many styles and colours.
- Long life: LED bulbs have a long life span ranging from 15,000 to 25,000 hours or 15 to 25 years based on average household use. LEDs are ideal for hard-to-reach places because they last a long time.
- Versatile: LEDs come in a variety of designs, styles, and colours to customize your living space.
- Savings: LEDs use up to 80 per cent less electricity than incandescent bulbs. Replace a 60W incandescent with a 9W LED and save up to $4 in electricity per year.
- most bulbs are dimmable;
- achieves full brightness immediately;
- lifespan not affected by frequent on/off cycling;
- performs well in cold temperatures;
- produces less heat than incandescent bulbs;
We offer financial incentives to owners, property managers, and landlords of apartment complexes, townhouses, and triplexes/fourplexes, or multi-unit residential buildings (MURBs) to install energy efficient LED bulbs in their residential suites. Learn about our Lighting Program for MURBs.
LED fixtures come in a variety of designs and styles including recessed downlights, ceiling mounts, wall sconces, and security lighting. They come with the bulb(s) integrated into the fixture, which provides an alternative to purchasing screw-based bulbs.
Read the packaging to ensure you purchase the correct LED bulb for your application. Look for the ENERGY STAR® logo that indicates your product has met strict standards for quality, efficiency, and long life. Keep your receipts because ENERGY STAR® certified lighting products have a minimum 3 year warranty.
Increase the comfort and safety in your home with dimmers, motion sensors, and timers. Lighting controls can create the perfect atmosphere in any room while saving energy.
Ensure your lighting control is compatible with your LED bulbs. If the LED bulb/control combination is not suitable, your lights may flicker as they dim. Manufacturers should provide information about compatibility.
LED Christmas lights
Seasonal LED lights use up to 90 per cent less electricity and last up to 10 times longer than traditional incandescent holiday lights.
LED lights may initially cost more than conventional light strings, but they will pay for themselves through reduced energy consumption and bulb replacement.
LED Christmas lights come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and colours. They're also shatterproof, shock-resistant, and durable, reducing the risk of fire.
LED bulbs – invest in your future
Watch this short video to learn why you should use LED bulbs in your home.