Power Smart Water & Energy Saver Program
Up to 12 per cent of your energy bill can be from heating your water. Install high-efficiency Power Smart low-flow plumbing devices in your home to reduce both water and energy consumption. Through our Power Smart Water and Energy Saver Program, we offer free Water and Energy Saver Kits that will help you save water and energy, while reducing your carbon footprint.
- Use less water: the average shower uses about 9.1 litres per minute. By installing a Water & Energy Saver Kit, you'll cut that by nearly half – about 5.7 litres per minute. Read more ways to save water in your home.
- Spend 8 minutes every day saving money: the average Manitoban spends about 8 minutes in the shower. Installing an energy efficient showerhead can help you save 20 per cent of that water every time you use it.
- Save $60 per year: by using less hot water, you'll save up to $30 on your energy bill and up to $30 on your water bill.
- Set a good example for your kids: installing a WESP kit is a quick, easy way to reduce your impact on the environment – plus, you save water, energy, and money. Learn more ways to save water and energy around the home.
- Join your neighbours: over 30 per cent of Manitobans have already installed a WESP kit. As a result, Manitoba saves 1 billion litres of water every year.
Apply for a Water & Energy Saver Kit
If you want to install it yourself, we'll send one in the mail (only one kit installed per household). If you'd like it installed, you may qualify for an Ecofitt technician to come to your home and do it for you. To book an installation appointment, call 1-877-326-3488.
Each kit contains:
- 1 to 2 low-flow 5.7 litres per minute showerheads (choice of handheld massage or wall mount massage);
- 2 low-flow bathroom faucet aerators;
- 1 low-flow kitchen faucet aerator;
- 3 metres of water heater pipe wrap insulation;
- plumber's tape;
- refrigerator/freezer thermometer.
We have Ecofitt technicians going door-to-door in various communities and neighbourhoods throughout Manitoba to offer on-the-spot installation of free water and energy saving devices. Ecofitt technicians carry Manitoba Hydro-issued identification badges. We're currently scheduling direct installs for Selkirk, Stonewall, Beausejour, Brandon, and select communities in Winnipeg. Call Ecofitt at 1-877-326-3488 to schedule an appointment.
How to install showerheads and aerators
Find out how to install the low-flow showerheads and aerators you can get in our free Water & Energy Saver Kit.
To qualify for a Power Smart Water and Energy Saver Kit:
- You can't have ordered a Water and Energy Saver Kit in the past at your current home. If you've moved, you may be eligible for a new kit.
If you've participated in the Affordable Energy Program you've already been given water and energy saving devices that have the same benefits as those included in the Water and Energy Saver Kits.
- You must be the homeowner or tenant with a Manitoba Hydro account.
If you are a property manager and/or landlord, you may be eligible for the Water & Energy Saver Program for multi-unit residential buildings.
- Your home must be occupied year-round.
- Seasonal residences (i.e. cottages or cabins) are not eligible. The water use and water heater energy consumption in a seasonal home (e.g. cottage) is less than an average residential home, so the energy and water savings don't provide sufficient economic benefits to offer a free kit to seasonal homeowners.
- The kit must be sent to an address within the province of Manitoba.
If you are a homebuilder and would like to participate in the program, email the New Home Program.
If you have questions regarding the components of the Water and Energy Saver Kit, or would like more information on how to install any of the kit's components, contact our service provider Ecofitt.
Power Smart low-flow standards
Power Smart low-flow showerheads use approximately 6 litres of water per minute, while other low-flow showerheads often use more. Low-flow showerheads on the market today, range from 6.0 to 9.5 litres per minute.
Power Smart low-flow faucet aerators have a flow rate of 6.0 litres per minute, and standard aerators have a flow rate of 9.0 litres per minute.
Thermal shock can occur when different household appliances are in use at the same time as a showerhead. A sudden drop in water pressure can result in a sudden change in water temperature (hot or cold). Adjust water temperature to 49°C at the end use side of your hot water system.
Some homes have an automatic compensating mixing valve installed as part of the plumbing system, and are required to be tested and certified only at a flow rate of 9.5 litres per minute. It is recommended that this valve be installed to help reduce any risks of thermal shock or scalding. When used in combination with a low-flow showerhead, the automatic compensating mixing valve may not provide protection.
Contact a licensed plumber with concerns about water pressure changes in your home's plumbing system or questions about automatic compensating mixing valves.