Typical scam phone calls follow a pattern:
- The call comes from a toll-free number. In some cases, they falsify Caller ID to display our number.
- The caller asks a few questions, then states that your account is in arrears and must be paid immediately. Or they may offer to sell you a device or service to save money or energy.
- You are provided with payment options that include making a payment through a local retailer (often Safeway/Sobeys), paying through a PayPal account, wiring a cash payment via Western Union, or giving a credit card number.
We do make reminder phone calls to customers who are in arrears and we may demand payment to prevent disconnection of service.
- We do not accept payments over the phone.
- We do not accept PayPal or credit card payments.
- We do not ask you to wire money.
- We do not make cold calls to sell products or services.
What to do if you are contacted
If you ever feel threatened or concerned for your safety in any way, contact your local police. Your safety should always be your priority.
Never give your personal information to someone whose identity you cannot be sure of.
If you have questions about a pending service disconnection, call our Credit & Recovery services at 204-480-5901.