Develop your shore lands

Shore lands function as areas that can safely accommodate water level fluctuations and erosion associated with the operation of the river’s hydroelectric generating stations. We regularly monitor the shoreline for signs of erosion ensuring corrective action is taken when required.

Due to concerns for safety and maintenance, there are restrictions for decks, boat docks, landscaping and other types of development on Manitoba Hydro shore land. Use must not contribute to erosion, riverbank failure, settling, gullying or interfere with the riverbank protection (rip-rap) program.

How to apply for permission and a building permit

Before developing your shore land, you must receive written permission from the landowner (either Manitoba Hydro or Crown Lands), then apply for a municipal building permit.

  • If your land borders Crown Lands, call the Manitoba Conservation office in Lac du Bonnet at 204-345-1452.
  • If your land borders Manitoba Hydro land, follow the steps outlined below to gain landowner approval and obtain a building permit.
  • If you are unsure who the landowner is, call 1-888-377-7443.

At present, there are no costs for applications or issuance of a Shore Lands Use Permit. This permit is issued for a five-year period and is not transferable without the written consent of Manitoba Hydro or Crown lands. If your permit has expired, contact us at 1-888-377-7443.

The development must follow all laws and regulations, and our Shore Lands Use Guidelines. Our PDFs provide advice about restrictions, application checklists, and drawing examples:

Submit a permit application

Mail or deliver application to:

  • Manitoba Hydro
    Shore Lands Permit Program
    PO Box 808
    Lac du Bonnet MB R0E 1A0

Site inspection:

  • We will perform an on-site inspection prior to approval of the structure or works.
  • After inspection, a letter of approval (subject to conditions) will be mailed to you and a copy mailed to the appropriate rural municipality building inspector.

Apply for a building permit

Once you’ve got the letter of approval, contact your local RM for a building permit:

After your development is completed, another inspection is made to confirm the structure and its location matches your building permit.