Choosing a Primary Gas rate option
Customers can choose 1 of 2 Primary Gas rate options:
Quarterly rate service (adjusted 4 times per year)
- The default service option provided only by Manitoba Hydro. No contracts are required.
- Customers pay the market cost; there is no mark-up or profit added.
- Primary Gas rates are adjusted every 3 months to reflect the cost of providing this service. Regular adjustments help smooth sharp increases or decreases in daily market costs, which can occur during times of high market volatility.
Fixed-rate service (fixed for a term of at least 1 year)
- Manitoba Hydro introduced a fixed-rate service option for the first time in 2009. The fixed rate service is offered during designated enrolment periods.
- Consumers choosing fixed-rate service sign a contract to pay a fixed rate for Primary Gas over a specified term – usually 1 to 5 years.
- Under a fixed-rate option, your Primary Gas rate stays the same for the length of the contract, regardless of whether market prices go up or down.
- Choosing a fixed rate may or may not result in cost savings over the contract term.
- A fixed-rate Primary Gas option fixes only the per-cubic-metre rate you pay for Primary Gas. Your total natural gas bill will continue to fluctuate, depending on your natural gas use, which is impacted by many factors such as weather.
If you want to budget your energy bill payments and pay in equal monthly instalments, you may also choose to sign up for our Equal Payment Plan. It’s available to all quarterly rate and fixed-rate customers regardless of your Primary Gas supplier.
Which service option is best for me?
The best service option for you is the one that best suits your particular needs. Each option offers different benefits, risks, and costs. Natural gas prices generally rise and fall. There is no way to know whether one option will cost you more or less than another option over time.
When you make your choice, consider the following:
- the per-cubic-metre rate offered by Manitoba Hydro and the natural gas marketers for various Primary Gas products – view current rates from the various residential Primary Gas providers in Manitoba;
- how much natural gas you typically use;
- whether or not you wish to sign a contract and fix your rate for a period of time;
- the terms of the contract, including length, fees, and administration charges (if any);
- natural gas market conditions;
- your tolerance for risk.