If you are responsible for paying the utility bills (whether you own or rent), this is what you should know on moving day. Your bill will be more accurate if you submit your final or initial natural gas and electricity meter readings.

Moving out

Stop your current service and change your address.

  • Current owners are responsible for their property's utility bills until the new owner's legal possession date.
  • Tenants who pay their own utilities are responsible for those charges until the date they return their keys to the property owner, even if that date is earlier than their lease expiry. Property owners are billed for natural gas and electricity while the rental unit is vacant.

Moving in

Start your new service (electricity and/or natural gas) and change your address.

  • All adults (spouses or roommates) in a household who share responsibilities for utility bills should have their names included on the account. Those names should be updated as circumstances change.
  • If you have not yet established a satisfactory credit history with us, you may be required to provide a credit guarantee (i.e. Pre-authorized Payment Plan, credit reference letter, irrevocable letter of credit from a financial institution, credit worth third party co-signer, or a monetary security deposit).
  • If you are an existing customer, your account number will change when you move to a different residence. If you currently pay your bill by telephone or an online payment service through your financial institution, be sure to inform your financial institution that your Manitoba Hydro account number has changed.

Moving away

If you're moving out-of-province and applying for services with another utility, you may need to request a credit reference letter.


Register your rental property online, view estimated Equal Payment Plan (EPP) amounts and disconnections, initiate move-in and move-out information, and enter final and initial meter readings with Landlord Express.

Save time with one step

If you would like to save time and avoid duplicating your efforts as you update your contact info, you can notify us, Manitoba Health, and City of Winnipeg Water and Waste at Manitoba Address Change.

Read more about your account.