We recognize that resolving past grievances is fundamental to strengthening working relationships with Indigenous communities. A key strategy in our Corporate Strategic Framework is to “resolve and manage ongoing obligations from past development”. We will continue to address the adverse effects of our existing operations on the customs, practices and traditions of Indigenous people that are integral to their cultural identity.
In addition to community-wide settlement agreements, we have reached a number of agreements with resource user groups, such as local commercial fishing and trapping associations.
Northern Flood Agreement
Planning for the Lake Winnipeg Regulation/Churchill River Diversion projects proceeded in early 1970s. Discussions also began with potentially affected northern communities.
By 1971, formal discussions were underway with Cross Lake First Nation. In 1974, as development plans matured and construction began, 5 affected First Nations formed the Northern Flood Committee to facilitate joint consultations with Manitoba Hydro and the Governments about the project.
The Northern Flood Committee, funded by the Federal Government, negotiated the Northern Flood Agreement (NFA) over the following 3 years. The NFA was signed in 1977. The 5 NFA First Nations were Split Lake, Nelson House, York Factory, Norway House and Cross Lake.
View the Northern Flood Agreement document (PDF, 3.8 MB).
Comprehensive implementation agreements have been reached with 4 of the 5 NFA First Nations.
- Nelson House (NFA) (PDF, 20.7 MB);
- Norway House (NFA) (PDF, 30 MB);
- Split Lake (NFA) (PDF, 20.8 MB);
- York Factory (NFA) (PDF, 15.6 MB).
- Chemawawin/Easterville 1990 (PDF, 778 KB);
- Cormorant 1991 (PDF, 606 KB);
- Cross Lake Community 2010 (PDF, 3.9 MB);
- Easterville Community 2004 (PDF, 8.6 MB);
- Fox Lake 2004 (PDF, 224 KB);
- Fox Lake 2004 Schedules (PDF, 15 MB);
- Grand Rapids 1991 (PDF, 1.5 MB);
- Moose Lake 1990 (PDF, 830 KB);
- Moose Lake Community Council 2005 (PDF, 1.7 MB);
- Nelson House Community Council 2006 (PDF, 1.9 MB);
- Pickerel Narrows Community Association 2006 (PDF, 216 KB);
- Sagkeeng Nation 1998 (PDF, 115 KB);
- Sagkeeng Nation 1997 (PDF, 148 KB);
- The Pas 1991 (PDF, 3.6 MB);
- War Lake First Nation 2005 (PDF, 4 MB).