LED street light conversion
Energy efficient LED street light.
As traditional, high pressure sodium (HPS) street lights burn out, we are replacing them with LEDs. HPS street lights produce a yellow or orange light and only last up to 5 years. In comparison, LED street lights produce a more direct and visually appealing white light and can last up to 20 years. LED fixtures consume nearly 60 per cent less energy than HPS technology.
We aim to convert all of the more than 130,000 street lights in the province by 2021.
As of November 2017:
- We have replaced more than 69,000 street lights with LEDs across the province.
- We continue to do replacement work in south Winnipeg.
- We have completed several neighbourhoods in the northern part of the city and the downtown.
- reduced energy consumption;
- last for up to 20 years;
- less maintenance;
- produces a more direct white light;
- completely recyclable;
- reduced light spillage.
The switch to LED street lights is expected to save 42 GWh in electricity savings and 6 MW in winter peak demand savings by 2020–2021, and 27,000 tonnes of indirect greenhouse gas emission reductions in the electricity export market, which is equivalent to removing 5,400 cars from the road.