LED street light conversion
As traditional, high pressure sodium (HPS) street lights burn out, we are replacing them with LEDs. HPS street lights produce a yellow or orange light and only last up to 5 years. In comparison, LED street lights produce a more direct and visually appealing white light and can last up to 20 years. LED fixtures consume nearly 60% less energy than HPS technology.
We aim to convert all of the more than 130,000 street lights in the province by 2021.
As of November 2017:
- We have replaced more than 69,000 street lights with LEDs across the province.
- We continue to do replacement work in south Winnipeg.
- We have completed several neighbourhoods in the northern part of the city and the downtown.
- reduced energy consumption;
- last for up to 20 years;
- less maintenance;
- produces a more direct white light;
- completely recyclable;
- reduced light spillage.
The switch to LED street lights is expected to save 42 GWh in electricity savings and 6 MW in winter peak demand savings by 2020–2021, and 27,000 tonnes of indirect greenhouse gas emission reductions in the electricity export market, which is equivalent to removing 5,400 cars from the road.