A message from our CEO
Ensuring safe, reliable service while responding to COVID-19
As the nation continues to respond to the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, Manitoba Hydro has taken additional proactive steps to ensure the continued reliable delivery of energy to homes and businesses, while also protecting the safety and health of you — our customers — our employees and the communities we serve.
Based on the latest information available from public health authorities and governments, effective close of business on March 18, we took the following additional steps to help prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Wherever possible, supporting staff to work remotely from home to reduce employee contact;
- Closing Manitoba Hydro offices to the public, including the cash counter at 360 Portage Avenue in Winnipeg, to minimize the opportunity for community transmission;
These measures are in addition to the initial steps we took on March 14, which included:
- Suspension all non-essential work where our employees are required to enter an occupied residence (such as meter exchanges, electrical inspections, meter readings, and disconnections);
- Continued response to all emergency and safety-related calls – however, prior to entering residences, our employees will ask customers questions relating to their recent travel and COVID-19 exposure to minimize risk to our staff;
- Cancellation all non-essential employee business travel;
- Requiring all employees returning from any international travel, including the United States, to self-isolate for 14 days before returning to work.
- Promoting use of teleconferences, videoconferencing and other technology to replace face-to-face and group meetings, reducing the risk of transmission in the workplace.
More frequent and intense cleaning and disinfecting is continuing at all our offices and work locations, along with increased promotion of the actions employees can take personally, such as social distancing, frequent handwashing, and use of additional personal protective equipment to help protect themselves, their coworkers, and you.
We remain here to serve you under all conditions. Our supportive call centre staff can answer your questions and assist you in any way we can. We also encourage you to use our online services that are available on our website.
We are prepared
We take our responsibility to ensure the ongoing, safe delivery of renewable electricity and clean-burning natural gas to our customers very seriously.
We are prepared for a pandemic and we have emergency plans in place. We also have experienced, expert response teams to ensure the continuity of our operations and essential services across the province.
You have our assurance that we are continuing to monitor developments and will implement appropriate additional steps as warranted over the coming weeks. I thank you for your patience and understanding as we work to keep our service to you uninterrupted through this extraordinary circumstance.
Jay Grewal, President & CEO, Manitoba Hydro