Call Before You Dig – line location
If you are planning to build a fence, build a fire pit, or dig a hole for any reason, we can help you stay safe. Call us before you dig to prevent:
- service outages;
- equipment damage;
- costly repairs;
- environmental pollution;
- personal injury or death.
Call before you dig and we will locate and mark your property for electrical and/or natural gas lines. The service is free.
We are not a member of any external call/click before you dig services, so you must call us directly at 204-480-1212 or 1-888-624-9376 (outside of Winnipeg). You must also contact other utilities.
From April 1 to October 31, call at least one week ahead to book an appointment. From November 1 to March 31, we require at least 3 business days notice.
We cannot accept email requests for appointments.
- A Facilities Locate form must be obtained prior to digging, and specific instructions on the form must be followed.
- If work has not started within 14 days after line location, you must notify again us to re-mark the work area and provide an updated Facilities Locate form.
- Contractors must ensure that everyone on the worksite is aware of the presence of all gas and electric lines and ensure that the Facilities Locate form is kept at the site until the digging and backfill are complete.
- The location markings must be maintained and kept visible by the person or contractor doing the digging. Be careful that site operators do not remove the line location markings.
Trees and shrubs
Plant trees and shrubs at least 1 metre away from underground lines. A small plant can grow to be quite large, and its roots will expand. Read more about planting to avoid power lines.
- You must submit detailed drawings of proposed work and include any gas or electrical line in the work area for all projects that require digging. You must submit all drawings at least 4 weeks before the start of any excavation work to the Gas Distribution Engineering Department. We will review all drawings at no cost to you, and we ill provide the contractor with a letter with any work restrictions, specific requirements, or costs.
- Contact us in Winnipeg at 204-480-5900 or outside Winnipeg at 1-888-624-9376. You will be referred to the local office for further instruction.
If there are Manitoba Hydro fibre optic cables, the Facilities Locate form will refer contractors to our communications department for more information.
Note: We will locate the natural gas lines and the electric cables that we own. We have no knowledge of or responsibility for locating lines owned by others.
Electric conductors or gas pipes installed past the meter are owned privately by the property owner and, at times, are installed below ground before it enters the building. Outbuildings that are heated or have electrical power, wells, septic system pumps, and hot tubs are other examples where privately-owned buried facilities may exist.