St. Vital Transmission Complex
The St. Vital Transmission Complex includes construction of 2 230-kV transmission lines that will both start at the St. Vital Station (located in southeast Winnipeg):
- The St. Vital to Letellier Transmission line will run south to the Letellier Station, located outside of Letellier, Manitoba. This new line is required in south-central Manitoba to address load growth and voltage concerns in the area.
- The St. Vital to La Verendrye Transmission Line will run to the La Verendrye Station, located southwest of Winnipeg near the community of Oak Bluff. This new line will be located on a right-of-way, which exists south of Winnipeg known as the Southern Loop. The new line will:
- enable the Winnipeg network to withstand various severe outages;
- improve performance during normal operation;
- promote the reliability of the power system in southern Manitoba.
The St. Vital Transmission Complex received a Class 2 development Licence under The Environment Act (Manitoba) on January 30, 2017.
We are planning to start construction of the St. Vital to Letellier Transmission line in fall 2019.
Based on feedback received and discussions held with the Sage Creek Residents Association, a modification to the project was made to the project design within the community.
- Project announcement: August 2013;
- Public and Indigenous engagement round 1: August/September 2013 (completed);
- Preferred route determined: October 2013 (completed);
- Public and Indigenous engagement round 2: November 2013 (completed);
- Regulatory submission: May 2014 (completed);
- Licence received: January 2017 (completed);
- Construction start date – St. Vital to Letellier transmission line: fall 2019 (estimated);
- Construction start date – St. Vital to La Verendrye transmission line: to be determined.
This schedule is subject to change. Sign up to be emailed when there are upcoming events or new project materials available on our website:
All comment sheets, newsletters and storyboards presented at open houses and to interested parties are available in the document library.
For more information about the St. Vital Transmission Complex:
- Email Licensing & Environmental Assessment.
- Phone toll-free at 1-877-343-1631 or 204-360-7888 in Winnipeg.
Licensing & Environmental Assessment
360 Portage Ave. (5)
Winnipeg MB R3C 0G8.