St. Vital Transmission Complex
The St. Vital Transmission Complex includes construction of 3 230-kV transmission lines:
- The transmission line starts at St. Vital Station (located in southeast Winnipeg) and runs south to De Salaberry East Station (located northwest of Kleefeld).
- The line from De Salaberry East Station will continue south to Letellier Station (located near Letellier).
- These 2 lines are required in south-central Manitoba to address load growth and voltage concerns.
- Another line will start at St. Vital Station and run to La Verendrye Station (located near Oak Bluff). This new line will be located on a right-of-way known as the Southern Loop. The new line will:
- enable the Winnipeg network to withstand various severe outages;
- improve performance during normal operation;
- promote reliability of the power system in southern Manitoba.
The St. Vital Transmission Complex received a Class 2 development Licence under The Environment Act (Manitoba) on January 30, 2017.
Construction is underway on the transmission line.
- St. Vital Station to De Salaberry East Station is now in-service.
- The construction progress map shows the transmission line, tower locations and the status of construction by tower.
- Project announcement: August 2013;
- Public and Indigenous engagement round 1: August/September 2013 (completed);
- Preferred route determined: October 2013 (completed);
- Public and Indigenous engagement round 2: November 2013 (completed);
- Regulatory submission: May 2014 (completed);
- Licence received: January 2017 (completed);
- Construction start dates:
- St. Vital Station to De Salaberry East Station: January 2020 (completed);
- De Salaberry East Station to Letellier Station: fall 2021;
- Sage Creek transmission corridor: June 2020 (completed);
- St. Vital to La Verendrye transmission line: to be determined.
This schedule is subject to change.
All comment sheets, newsletters and storyboards presented at open houses and to interested parties are available in the document library.
Sign up for email notifications about St. Vital Transmission Complex events or new project materials:
For more information about the St. Vital Transmission Complex:
- Email Licensing & Environmental Assessment.
- Phone toll-free at 1-877-343-1631 or 204-360-7888 in Winnipeg.
Licensing & Environmental Assessment
360 Portage Ave. (5)
Winnipeg MB R3C 0G8.