Carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless and odourless gas created when you burn fuels such as oil, kerosene, gasoline, diesel, coal, propane, natural gas, or wood. Exposure to CO can cause sickness and death.

Install a certified CO detector to protect you and your family from carbon monoxide poisoning. Alway use and maintain fuel-burning equipment and appliances correctly.

Signs of carbon monoxide:

  • stuffy or stale air;
  • more condensation than usual on your windows;
  • soot build up around a fireplace, chimney, or other fuel-burning equipment;
  • fuel-burning equipment has a back-draft (flame flares up when a window or door opens and adds air);
  • a pilot light keeps going out.

Back to top

CO poisoning symptoms

CO poisoning symptoms are like the flu. During flu season, many cases of CO poisoning may be left unreported and untreated.

If you have these symptoms, or the symptoms go away when you leave the building, call 911 or your local emergency services immediately.

CO poisoning symptoms, based on exposure (amount inhaled and length of time)
Exposure level Symptoms and effects
Low Light headache, shortage of breath during moderate physical activity
High Severe headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, mental confusion, weakness, vision and hearing impairment, collapse or fainting during physical activity, loss of muscle control, drowsiness
Extreme Unconsciousness, brain damage, death

If your CO detector alarm goes off

If anyone has symptoms of CO poisoning:

  1. Evacuate people and pets from the area immediately.
  2. Leave the doors open in the home or building as you exit.
  3. From a safe place, call 911 or your local emergency services immediately.

If no one has symptoms of CO poisoning, your CO detector or fuel-burning equipment may not be working properly:

  1. Immediately turn off the fuel-burning equipment or appliance.
  2. Evacuate anyone who may be at risk – children, the elderly, or pregnant women.
  3. Open the doors and windows.
  4. Call us anytime at 204-480-5900 (Winnipeg) or 1-888-624-9376 (toll-free).

If your alarm does not go off but you have symptoms of CO poisoning that go away when you leave the building, call 911 or your local emergency services immediately.

Back to top

Prevent CO build up

Have a qualified heating dealer:

  • check and clean your heating system regularly;
  • inspect all external vents for fuel-burning appliances are correctly installed and secure;
  • assess the need for a fresh air intake duct for wood-burning fireplaces or stoves.

You should:

  • regularly test your CO alarms;
  • keep your indoor and outdoor vents and chimneys clear of debris, snow, and ice;
  • keep the area around your furnace clutter-free for proper air circulation;
  • regularly check all natural gas appliances have a blue flame (a yellow flame may be a sign of CO);
  • never idle a vehicle or run gas-powered equipment (for example, mower, snow blower, trimmer, generator) in your attached garage, even with the overhead door open;
  • never use portable fuel-burning equipment (for example, generator, patio heater, barbecue, etc.) inside your home or garage.

Back to top


Did you find what you were looking for? Send us your feedback.