Downed power lines
If you see a damaged or fallen power line, stay at least 10 metres away and call 911 or your local emergency services immediately.
- Treat all downed lines as if they were energized. Stay away from them and anything that they touch, including puddles of water, flooded structures, and fences (especially metal fences).
- Never try to move a downed power line with any object. For example, a non-conductive material like wood can have moisture in it that acts as a conductor or the line could slide down the object and onto you.
- Do not try to repair damaged power lines or remove tree limbs from power lines — our qualified employees will do this.
- Avoid our crews when they are working on power lines.
- Stay clear of low or sagging power lines.
- High winds can bring down power lines – keep children inside, and pets on a leash, to prevent accidental contact.
Vehicle in contact with downed power line
If power lines contact a vehicle, call 911 or your local emergency services immediately.
Stay in the vehicle and wait for help to arrive. Assume all downed power lines are live and do not drive over them. Warn others to stay at least 10 metres away from the power lines and vehicle.
If it is dangerous to stay in the vehicle:
- Keep your feet together and hold your arms tightly at your sides. Do not step out of the vehicle one foot at a time — you make a path for electricity to ground — as this can cause severe injuries or death.
- Jump clear without touching the vehicle and the ground at the same time, and land with both feet together.
- Shuffle or hop away while keeping your feet together.
- Move at least 10 metres away from the downed lines.
Fallen tree or branches touching a power line
If you see a tree or branch that has fallen on a power line, stay at least 10 metres away, and call 911 or your local emergency services immediately.
- A tree touching a power line can be energized — stay away from it and from anything the line may be touching.
- Do not remove tree limbs on power lines as they may still be energized.
Many outages caused by trees can be prevented planting your tree away from power lines.