The depth of buried lines can change over time, depending on the type of soil covering them, as well as erosion or other activities going on above-ground. According to provincial legislation, you must call for a line location each time you plan to dig more than 15 cm.
If you dig into the ground and hit an electrical line with your shovel or heavy equipment, you may:
- shock yourself causing injury or even death;
- damage or destroy your excavation equipment;
- damage the cable coating, causing corrosion and unreliable service;
- cause a local or widespread power outage;
- be liable for the cost of repairs and emergency response(s).
Call or click before you dig to arrange for us to check and mark your property for electrical and/or natural gas lines. The service is free to locate Manitoba Hydro-owned underground facilities.