How to take part
If you have any questions or require assistance during the application process, please contact us.
- Read the Feasibility Study Agreement and program eligibility criteria.
- Contact us to discuss your project concept.
- Select an engineer or architect.
- Arrange a project concept analysis meeting with us.
- Submit the Feasibility Study Proposal Application.
- Prepare a feasibility study proposal.
- Conduct your feasibility study.
- Apply for a system installation incentive.
- Project completion and documentation.
- Post installation site visit and final incentive approval.
For more details read the Commercial Custom Measures Program Checklist & Scope of Responsibilities (PDF, 103 KB).
Contact us to discuss your project concept.
Discuss your project concept with us before having your custom measures proposal prepared. Our technical staff will provide guidance about the eligibility of your concept.
Select an engineer or architect.
An engineer or architect, who is registered to practice in Manitoba and qualified to complete an energy analysis, must complete a feasibility study of your project. Find an engineer or architect.
Arrange a project concept analysis meeting with us.
Along with your engineer/architect you will need to discuss the following for each custom measure:
- the options – a base case (less efficient, lower capital cost option, that would normally be installed in the absence of Power Smart programs) and a proposed energy-efficient case;
- the net impact of how the proposed concept will save electricity and/or natural gas;
- any interactive effects between measures and energy sources;
- the capital cost order of magnitude, estimated savings, and payback for both cases.
Submit the Feasibility Study Proposal Application.
If your project is eligible, we will send you the Feasibility Study Proposal Application package to complete. Submit your completed application to:
Commercial Custom Measures Program
360 Portage Ave. (7)
Winnipeg MB R3C 0G8
The application package includes a Summary of Project Concept Analysis form to be completed by your engineer/architect.
If your application is approved, we will provide written notification to proceed with preparation of a feasibility study proposal and will confirm under which stream the project qualifies.
Prepare a feasibility study proposal.
After receiving approval, have your engineer/architect prepare a feasibility study proposal using the provided guide and proposal outline (PDF, 255 KB).
Use the program’s calculator to estimate your feasibility study report assistance amount. Print the resulting calculations, attach them to your feasibility study proposal and submit these documents to us.
We will advise in writing whether your feasibility study proposal is approved, and, if eligible, will confirm the conditional amount of feasibility study report assistance. Once approved, your engineer/architect can conduct the feasibility study.
If the project qualifies under the enhanced stream (estimated to achieve annual electrical energy savings of 50,000 kWh or more), submit proof of payment for the engineer or architect’s proposal fee to us. You will then receive the feasibility study proposal incentive cheque.
If your feasibility study proposal is not approved, discuss the project with one of our engineers. Other energy efficient upgrades may be available for your commercial building.
Conduct your feasibility study.
Once your feasibility study proposal is approved, your engineer/architect can conduct the study and prepare a feasibility study report. Financial assistance is not provided if the feasibility study or project has started without our approval.
The engineer/architect must:
- follow the guide and report outline (PDF, 296 KB);
- submit a draft report to us for review;
- affix their professional seal and certificate of authorization;
- forward one copy of the finalized report and a completed Feasibility Study Report form to us.
Once the engineer/architect has completed the requirements for a feasibility study report, we will provide written notification to you. At this point, you will pay the engineer’s/architect’s fee and submit proof of full payment to us. Upon receipt of proof, we will send your feasibility study report assistance cheque.
We will evaluate the feasibility study to determine if the project is eligible for a system installation incentive. If your project is eligible, we will send you the System Installation Application package.
Apply for a system installation incentive.
You must receive pre-approval from Manitoba Hydro before ordering, purchasing or installing any custom measure(s).
- Read the System Installation Agreement and program eligibility criteria (PDF, 94 KB).
- Complete the System Installation Application.
- Use the program’s calculator to calculate the system installation incentive. Either print the resulting calculations or manually fill in the System Installation Incentive Calculation form. Attach supporting savings calculations and cost estimates sealed by your engineer/architect.
- Submit the System Installation Application, including the Project Description and System Installation Incentive Calculation, along with applicable preliminary design drawings. Keep a copy of these completed forms for your records.
- We will review the application and, if in agreement, conditionally approve the incentive and provide written permission to begin installing the custom measure(s).
The conditionally approved incentive amount may be adjusted should the project’s scope of work, energy savings, or costs change.
Project completion and documentation.
After you receive written conditional approval for your system installation incentive, you may install your custom measure(s).
The following documents must be submitted to receive final approval:
- copies of all paid project invoices and/or receipts of payment;
- copy of certificate of electrical inspection;
- copy of the natural gas installation permit;
- copy of certificate of substantial/final completion;
- copy of occupancy certificate (not required for existing retrofits where one is not issued).
The program’s completion declaration and completion questionnaire forms must also be submitted. The completion declaration certifies that all the equipment for which a system installation incentive has been applied has been installed and is fully operational.
Post-installation site visit and final incentive approval.
After we have received the required documentation, one of our representatives may conduct a final walk-through to confirm installation of the custom measure(s).
Your system installation incentive cheque will then be processed and mailed.