All projects require pre-approval by Manitoba Hydro prior to purchasing or installing new lighting or removing any existing lighting.
To qualify for incentives, you must be a Manitoba Hydro commercial customer billed at the electrical general service rate and operate lighting for 2,000 hours per year.
Installations must meet all electrical code guidelines. Read more about program-specific requirements.
How to take part
Our pre-approval is required before purchasing or installing lighting equipment for your renovation project. New lighting must be installed within one year of our pre-approval.
- Determine lighting requirements. Consult an electrical contractor, lighting designer, or Manitoba Hydro for assistance.
- Ensure the lighting product you plan to install is on the eligible product list. If this product is not on the list, contact your lighting agent before proceeding.
- Download and complete the application, or contact your Manitoba Hydro account representative for a paper copy.
- Application (PDF, 319 KB).
- Download and complete the appointment of representative form, if you want a representative to act on your behalf.
- Appointment of Representative (PDF, 165 KB).
- Download and complete the applicable incentive calculation pages for your application.
- Download and complete the applicable appendices for your application.
- Hotel/Motel Individual Suite Lighting Verification – Appendix C (PDF, 120 KB);
- Lighting Control Systems and Occupancy Sensors – Appendix D (PDF, 84 KB);
- LED Backlit Signage – Appendix E (PDF, 112 KB);
- New Construction Outdoor Lighting – Appendix F (PDF, 89 KB)
- Total Base Case Allowance for Exterior Lighting (Excel, 28 KB).
- Sign and submit the completed application and attachments to your Manitoba Hydro account representative or via email to the Commercial Lighting Program. An Energy Services Advisor may conduct a pre-inspection/walk-through to view the existing lighting conditions.
- Your Energy Services Advisor issues pre-approval to purchase and install your lighting.
- When lighting is installed and operational, send us your:
- Certificate of Inspection (within Winnipeg) or Certificate of Approval (outside Winnipeg);
- filled-in Completion Declaration and Questionnaire (PDF, 199 KB);
- itemized invoices detailing:
- date of purchase (must be after application written pre-approval date from Manitoba Hydro);
- vendor’s name, customer’s name, and install address;
- manufacturer name and model number of each product (model number must match the eligible product list or DLC Qualified Products List);
- product description;
- product quantities;
- per unit product costs and total, separate from design, labour, and taxes;
- labour (if applicable).
- We will arrange a post-inspection.
- We process your incentive. You will receive a cheque or a credit on your Manitoba Hydro bill after the post-inspection is complete and everything is in order.
If you are installing lighting in a new construction project, apply for incentives through the New Buildings Program.
Read more about lighting products and maintenance:
- Proper disposal and recycling of lighting products (PDF, 80 KB);
- Lighting systems maintenance and safety for agricultural customers (PDF, 131 KB);
- Technology summary (PDF, 323 KB).
For more information contact us.