Industrial refrigeration systems
The refrigeration engine room in a food processing facility may use approximately 30 to 70 per cent of the total electrical usage for the entire facility. This percentage increases for cold storage distribution centres. Typical electrical energy savings are 20 to 30 per cent of the refrigeration energy use. This results in potential electrical savings for the entire facility.
We use a systems approach which takes into account all of the elements from the point where the power is supplied to the motor to the point where process work is done. Depending on the application, savings may be realized in the end uses, distribution system, equipment, or controls portions of the system.
We provide the following services:
- Benchmark – Review of energy consumption and demand and assist in calculating an energy index.
- Walk-through – Site visit followed up with recommendations of potential energy saving measures.
- Scoping study – Loggers are installed on specific system components to record current, temperatures and pressures. A report is issued with estimated electrical savings and incentive monies.
- Engineering audit – A detailed audit is performed on the entire refrigeration system. There is a fee for this service but a portion of the cost may be offset by an incentive from the Performance Optimization Program.
The industrial refrigeration program is focused on customers with large ammonia refrigeration systems. Refrigeration systems are very dynamic and complex. Making a small change to one component may save energy in one area but the overall system may consume more power. However, a system with very efficient components may still be very inefficient. It is important to have a professional engineer or qualified contractor review all recommendations prior to implementation.
Read more about the Performance Optimization Program
- Systems approach
- Supported technologies
- Resources and incentives – project development process
- Measurement and verification
- Terms and conditions
- Forms and applications