Installing energy efficient lighting products in your home is an easy way to save energy and money. There are many light bulbs on the market today, so it’s important to know what to look for before you go to the store.
LED (light emitting diode) bulbs are the newest and most energy efficient lighting option available. LEDs last a long time and save you money. There’s an LED bulb for all fixtures – in many styles and colours.
- Long life: LED bulbs have a long life span ranging from 15,000 to 25,000 hours or 15 to 25 years based on average household use. LEDs are ideal for hard-to-reach places because they last a long time.
- Versatile: LEDs come in a variety of designs, styles, and colours to customize your living space.
- Savings: LEDs use up to 80% less electricity than incandescent bulbs. Replace a 60W incandescent with a 9W LED and save up to $4 in electricity per year.
- available in dimmable and non-dimmable options;
- achieves full brightness immediately;
- lifespan not affected by frequent on/off cycling;
- performs well in cold temperatures;
- produces less heat than incandescent bulbs;
- many are ENERGY STAR® certified, which means they have been tested for quality, efficiency, and long life.
ENERGY STAR certified LED fixtures come in a variety of designs and styles including recessed downlights, ceiling mounts, wall sconces, and security lighting. They come with the LED technology integrated into the fixture, which provides an alternative to purchasing screw-based bulbs.
Increase the comfort and safety in your home with dimmers, motion sensors, and timers. Lighting controls can create the perfect atmosphere in any room while saving energy.
Ensure your lighting control is compatible with your LED bulbs. If the LED bulb/control combination is not suitable, your lights may flicker as they dim. Manufacturers should provide information about compatibility.
Smart LED technology gives you greater control over your lighting:
- Smart LED bulbs can be controlled from your smart phone or tablet via Wi-Fi connection. These bulbs can be turned on and off, dimmed, synced to music, and you can even control the light colour of some smart bulbs.
- Smart controls allow you to dim and program your existing LED bulbs from your phone or tablet.
Seasonal LED lights
Seasonal LED lights use up to 90% less electricity and last up to 10 times longer than traditional incandescent holiday lights.
LED lights may initially cost more than conventional light strings, but they will pay for themselves through reduced energy consumption and bulb replacement.
These lights come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and colours. They’re also shatterproof, shock-resistant, and durable, reducing the risk of fire.