Be Power Smart
By installing Power Smart technologies, you can use less energy and save money.
Buy ENERGY STAR® certified appliances as they are 10 to 50 per cent more efficient than conventional models. Plug electronics, especially entertainment and computer systems, into power bars that can be switched off. Your car's block heater only needs to be on for a maximum of 3 hours so use an automatic car timer. Here are some of our energy saving solutions that will help you save money:
- Affordable Energy Program
Qualifying homeowners receive free insulation and a new high-efficiency natural gas furnace for only $9.50/month for 5 years.
- Electric vehicles
Drive an electric vehicle to lower your operating costs and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Home Insulation Program
Save approximately $150 a year and we offer a rebate on the cost of purchasing the insulation.
- Loans & financing
Get a loan to make energy efficiency upgrades to your home.
- Power Smart for New Homes
Learn how you can build a home at least 20 per cent more energy efficient than comparable new homes.
- Refrigerator Retirement Program
Receive free pick-up and $50 for each working refrigerator or freezer you retire.
- Water and Energy Saver Program
Get your free Water & Energy Saver Kit and save up to $30 a year on your energy bill.
Low-cost, no-cost, and do-it-yourself solutions
Small changes can make a big difference. Read some of our no-cost, low-cost tips to prevent air leakage in your home. Our how-to booklets and videos will guide you through do-it-yourself home energy efficiency improvements.
- Sealing, caulking and weatherstripping (PDF, 861 KB);
- Basement and crawlspace insulation (PDF, 796 KB);
- Attic insulation (PDF, 670 KB);
- Wall insulation (PDF, 694 KB);
- Doors and windows (PDF, 1 MB);
- Heating systems (PDF, 2.2 MB);
- Water heaters (PDF, 463 KB)
- Indoor air quality and ventilation (PDF, 466 KB);
- Energy saving tips (PDF, 599 KB).
Caulk and Seal Windows
Caulk and seal your windows to save energy and money. Learn which tools you'll need and how to get started.
Insulate Basement Walls
Learn how to install a wood frame, set up a moisture barrier, and finish with drywall.
Install Door Weather Stripping
Learn how to weather strip your door properly to protect it against the elements and save money on your energy bill.