High efficiency natural gas boilers
Upgrade to a high efficiency boiler system for your business and reduce energy use by 30%.
Condensing and near-condensing boilers
Both condensing and near-condensing systems offer superior heat exchange design and improved combustion technologies over standard atmospheric units. A condensing boiler recovers additional heat from exhaust gases by condensing water vapour that is normally lost up the flue.
Increase the energy efficiency of your heating system and lower your costs with financial incentives for upgrading to condensing or near-condensing boilers.
- reduced heating costs;
- increased occupant comfort with more uniform building temperatures;
- reduced greenhouse gas emissions;
- increased profitability and competitiveness.
Eligibility is based on the following requirements:
- must be a natural gas fired hot water boiler (no steam);
- minimum combustion efficiency of 85% (near-condensing) or 90% (condensing) as per ANSI Z21.13/CSA 4.9 standards or Boiler Testing Standard (BTS) 2000 (>300,000 Btu/h);
- all boilers under 300,000 Btu/h must be ENERGY STAR® certified;
- forced draft venting system required;
- designed to withstand continuous operation with a return water temperature not exceeding 49°C (condensing boilers only);
- technical data sheet showing catalogue performance data and efficiency rating certification must be provided;
- incentives will be limited to eligible loads only; future, redundant or standby capacity will not be eligible for incentives;
- detailed heat loss calculation (also known as a building heat load summary); this shows transmission, infiltration, ventilation.
You must apply for pre-approval before equipment is ordered and before work can begin.
A detailed building heat load study is required for all applications to determine eligible boiler loads. Incentives are based on the lesser input capacity (MBH) of the building’s heat load summary, the proposed boiler system, and the existing system.
Building heat loads are necessary to determine the right size boiler for your building. Properly-sized boiler equipment can improve operating efficiency, reduce capital costs, and increase occupant comfort.
Your heating service provider will perform the building heat load calculation and enter the information into the building heat load summary table on the application. This will determine your incentive.
|Eligible energy/heating loads||Heat loss
|If No, list source||Eligible load multiplier||Eligible load |
(heat loss x eligible load multiplier)
|Transmission heat loss||1.40|
|Infiltration heat loss||1.40|
Incentive = boiler input capacity x $ / MBH
Incentives available for retrofit applications only. The maximum eligible incentive is $100,000 for all natural gas measures included in the project.
- $8 / eligible MBH input for condensing boilers;
- $2 / eligible MBH input for near-condensing boilers.
Example: A 1,000 MBH condensing boiler is installed: Incentive = 1,000 x $8 = $8,000
Typical annual savings
On average, upgrading to a 2,000 MBH condensing boiler will:
- save you more than $4,000 on your annual energy bill;
- save more than $100,000 in life cycle costs over the 25-year operating life;
- realize a 2 to 5 year payback;
- reduce GHG emissions by almost 40 tonnes (equal to taking more than 10 cars off the road each year).
Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) proposes to amend Canada’s Energy Efficiency Regulations to include minimum efficiency requirements for commercial natural gas boilers.
Conduct regular boiler maintenance to reduce boiler operating and energy costs, improve safety, and extend the life of your boiler. Use our boiler maintenance checklist (PDF, 229 KB) as a guide for performing maintenance on an established schedule. Consult your heating supplier or service technician for maintenance specific to your boiler.
How to take part
You must receive pre-authorization before you purchase or install any equipment. To apply:
- Submit your completed HVAC Program Application (PDF, 363 KB) along with detailed heat loss calculations, and technical data sheets.
- We will pre-approve your application.
- Install your energy efficient measures.
- Your natural gas permit must pass inspection.
- Submit your completed HVAC completion documents (PDF, 168 KB):
- completion declaration;
- paid invoices.
- An incentive cheque will be mailed to you.