Small pump variable speed drive incentive
A variable speed drive (VSD) can improve pump system efficiency and reduce energy costs in variable load (volume or flow) conditions. Pumps are estimated to consume 20 to 25 per cent of all industrial electrical energy. Small pumps are commonly replaced to maintain design without consideration for your system requirements, which can result in inefficiencies and increased maintenance. A VSD controls the speed of the pump to match system demand. The system becomes more efficient and reduces your energy and maintenance costs.
Install a qualifying VSD and get a rebate of $100 for each horsepower (HP) up to 20 HP. You will receive your rebate in the form of a cheque when the project is completed. Both new installations and retrofits are eligible to apply for the incentive.
Demand and energy savings must be verifiable by a Manitoba Hydro representative.
Manitoba Hydro customers who replace a control valve with a VSD are eligible.
We must approve your project application prior to purchase or installation of a VSD. To qualify for the rebate, your pumping system design must meet these specifications:
- electric motor driven centrifugal pump;
- 20 horsepower motor nameplate or less;
- operate more than 3,000 hours per year;
- base control system that consists of:
- pressure/flow reducing valve or other device (restriction control);
- pressure/flow recirculation valve or other device (diversion control);
- other control system (describe in application).
A new VSD replacing an existing functional or non-functional VSD is not eligible. Third parties cannot apply for a customer, nor can they receive the rebate.
How to take part
Before you purchase the VSD, your application must be submitted and approved.
- Complete the Application (PDF, 176 KB).
- Send the completed application and the Project Application Report to us by fax at 204-360-6109.
- We will confirm the status of your application. The application is subject to eligibility review.
- Install the equipment within 1 year after the incentive application is approved.
- Once installed, submit the Completion Declaration (PDF, 113 KB), a copy of the invoice, and a photo of the installed equipment to Manitoba Hydro by:
- Fax 204-360-6109.
Performance Optimization Program
Attention: Small Pump VSD Initiative
360 Portage Ave. (7)
Winnipeg MB R3C 0G8.
- Email us.
- After submissions are received and processed, your rebate will be mailed to you in the form of a cheque.
Note: You must obtain all necessary zoning, building, electrical, environmental, and other permits and licenses necessary for the project at your own cost. We do not endorse or warrant any particular manufacturer, product, system, design, contractor, supplier or installer in promoting electrical efficiency through this program. We may modify or cancel this program at any time without notice. Demand and energy savings must be verifiable by a Manitoba Hydro representative. Industry reliability guidelines recommend limiting facility harmonic distortion. As a performance guarantee, have your supplier ensure your variable speed drive meets the interconnection requirements of Manitoba Hydro's Power Quality Specification, PQS2000.
Read more about the Performance Optimization Program
- Systems approach
- Supported technologies
- Resources and incentives – project development process
- Measurement and verification
- Terms and conditions
- Forms and applications