Grocery stores, convenience stores, and restaurants use significant amounts of energy for refrigeration. A grocery store’s refrigeration can account for more than 50% of the electricity bill. The Commercial Refrigeration Program encourages energy efficient equipment upgrades and energy saving actions. These upgrades reduce energy consumption and costs while providing many non-energy benefits.
- lower energy bills;
- lower operating and maintenance costs;
- increased comfort in refrigeration aisles for customers and employees;
- reduced product spoilage;
- extended equipment life;
- less energy use, which helps conserve non-renewable resources and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Incentives and eligibility
We offer a variety of incentives (PDF, 78 KB) for energy efficient refrigeration technologies. To be eligible for incentives, you must:
- be a Manitoba Hydro customer eligible for the General Service electricity rate;
- be the end user of the refrigeration equipment (i.e. not a vendor, manufacturer, or installer);
- use the refrigeration equipment in a commercial capacity and not a residential (e.g. individual apartment suites, hotel rooms, senior citizen housing units);
- remain a customer of Manitoba Hydro for a minimum of 3 years after the date of the incentive payment.
How to take part
- Select the energy efficient commercial refrigeration products that you want to install.
- Submit your completed Commercial Refrigeration Program Application (PDF, 560 KB).
- Your application is pre-approved by Manitoba Hydro (pre-approval is not required for evaporator efficiency controls).
- Purchase and install your energy efficient measures.
- Submit your completed documentation:
- Completion Declaration and Questionnaire;
- itemized invoices (request from your vendor, manufacturer, installer or contactor);
- copy of Certificate of Approval/electrical inspection (if applicable).
- Post-inspection walk-through is arranged by Manitoba Hydro.
- Incentive cheque is mailed to you, or your vendor or installer.