All projects require pre-approval by Manitoba Hydro prior to purchasing or installing new lighting or removing any existing lighting.
To qualify for incentives, you must be a Manitoba Hydro commercial customer billed at the electrical general service rate and operate lighting for 2,000 hours per year.
Installations must meet Manitoba Electrical Code requirements. An electrical permit is required for any retrofit project, including LED specialty and linear lamps. LED screw in lamps for 120V medium base sockets do not require an electrical permit.
How to take part
Our pre-approval is required before purchasing or installing lighting equipment for your renovation project. New lighting must be installed within one year of our pre-approval.
View the program guide (PDF, 1.1 MB).
- Determine lighting requirements. Consult an electrical contractor, lighting designer, or Manitoba Hydro for assistance.
- Ensure the lighting product you plan to install is on the eligible product list. If this product is not on the list, contact your lighting agent before proceeding.
- Download and complete the application, or contact your Manitoba Hydro account representative for a paper copy.
- Application (PDF, 282 KB).
- Download and complete the applicable incentive calculation pages for your application.
- Download and complete the applicable appendices for your application.
- Hotel/Motel Individual Suite Lighting Verification – Appendix C (PDF, 76 KB);
- Lighting Control Systems and Occupancy Sensors – Appendix D (PDF, 266 KB);
- LED Backlit Signage – Appendix E (PDF, 268 KB);
- New Construction Outdoor Lighting – Appendix F (PDF, 104 KB)
- Total Base Case Allowance for Exterior Lighting (Excel, 28 KB).
- Sign and submit the completed application and attachments to your Manitoba Hydro account representative or via email to the Commercial Lighting Program. An Energy Services Advisor may conduct a pre-inspection/walk-through to view the existing lighting conditions.
- Your Energy Services Advisor issues pre-approval to purchase and install your lighting.
- When lighting is installed and operational, send us your:
- Certificate of Inspection (within Winnipeg) or Certificate of Approval (outside Winnipeg);
- filled-in Completion Declaration and Questionnaire (PDF, 305 KB);
- itemized invoices detailing:
- date of purchase (must be after application written pre-approval date from Manitoba Hydro);
- vendor’s name, customer’s name, and install address;
- manufacturer name and model number of each product (model number must match the eligible product list or DLC Qualified Products List);
- product description;
- product quantities;
- per unit product costs and total, separate from design, labour, and taxes;
- labour (if applicable).
- We will arrange a post-inspection.
- We process your incentive. You will receive a cheque or a credit on your Manitoba Hydro bill after the post-inspection is complete and everything is in order.
If you are installing lighting in a new construction project, apply for incentives through the New Buildings Program.
Read more about lighting products and maintenance:
- Proper disposal and recycling of lighting products (PDF, 89 KB);
- Lighting systems maintenance and safety for agricultural customers (PDF, 140 KB);
- Technology summary (PDF, 534 KB).
For more information contact us.