How to take part
Step 1: qualify
- Determine which area(s) of your home that you would like to insulate:
- exterior walls.
- Decide whether you will do-it-yourself or hire a contractor. Your retailer or contractor must be registered as a supplier with Manitoba Hydro. If they are not on our registered supplier list, they can apply now to become a registered supplier.
Discuss your insulation project with your retailer or contractor. Be prepared with these details:
- the square footage of your home;
- the year your home was built;
- your Manitoba Hydro account number;
- what type of heating your home has;
- the square footage of the area to be insulated (Learn how to calculate square footage);
- the existing R-value of the area to be insulated [View insulation types and their R-values (PDF, 104 KB)].
Your retailer/contractor will:
- complete the required Home Insulation Program Rebate Application with you;
- obtain pre-approval for your project;
- contact you when your insulation project has been approved.
We may conduct a pre-installation verification before approval is issued.
Read the Home Insulation Program Terms and Conditions. (PDF, 158 KB)
Step 2: insulate
Once you have received pre-approval, you can begin your project. Read about insulation installation tips in our how-to booklets.
You will need to:
- obtain all required building or electrical permits or ensure the primary contractor has done so (if you are unsure whether an electrical permit is required, contact your Manitoba Hydro district office);
- ensure that the work meets the requirements of the Manitoba Building Code, all applicable bylaws, and is acceptable to inspection authorities;
- select the materials to complete your project, or supervise the work of your contractor.
All installation and associated renovation work must be completed within 18 months of approval of your Home Insulation Program Rebate Application.
We will not act as mediator should you find your contractor's work unsatisfactory.
Step 3: get a rebate
Once you have completed your insulation project, you can submit your paperwork for a rebate.
You will need to submit:
- the original, 2-page, signed Home Insulation Program Rebate Application and Calculation Schedule;
- all original receipts for insulation materials.
The form must include your contractor's or retailer's signature. The form must be sent to us within 30 days of finishing the installation.
We will process your rebate once you have submitted the appropriate paperwork. It may take up to 8 weeks.
Read more about insulation