To qualify for the Residential Earth Power Loan, energy efficiency upgrades must be made to levels recommended by Manitoba Hydro.
Geothermal (ground source) heat pumps
- The homeowner must be a Manitoba Hydro customer who is approved for credit from Manitoba Hydro.
- The heat pump must be designed and installed by a certified contractor. The contractor must be recognized by the Manitoba Geothermal Energy Alliance (MGEA).
- The geothermal heat pump must be tested and rated under CSA Standard C-13256, and installed to meet CSA C448.
Cold climate air source heat pumps
- The system must be a cold climate air source heat pump with a variable capacity compressor, rated to provide heat at temperatures of at least −25°C.
- The air source heat pump unit’s performance rating certified to CSA Standard CAN/CSA-C656-05 with a minimum HSPF of 10. Units must have a minimum COP of 1.75 at −15°C.
- Indoor and outdoor units must be part of an AHRI matched system.
- ENERGY STAR® certified.
- Home must be currently heated with electric resistance heat.
- Installer must be a refrigeration mechanic licensed in Manitoba.
For more information on cold climate air source heat pumps, visit the NRCan website.
Solar thermal water heaters
- You must be planning on installing an active residential solar water heating system;
- The home must be owned by the applicant and must be their principal residence or their tenant’s principal residence;
- The home must be detached, semi-detached, or a mobile/modular home on a permanent foundation with a permanent water supply, and intended as a residence;
- The system must use solar hot water collectors that meet CSA Standard F379 or equivalent;
- The system must be installed by a participating contractor.
Solar photovoltaic systems
- All customer-owned generation must meet applicable provincial, federal and municipal licenses, permits and approvals.
- All customer-owned generation must be installed in accordance with the Canadian Electrical Code (CEC) CSA C22 and be inspected prior to being energized.
- For a complete list of other applicable Standards and Codes, see the Terms and Conditions on the Application.
- The solar PV system must be interconnected to Manitoba Hydro’s distribution system, including the installation of a bi-directional meter once the system is approved if required by inspector.
For more information on solar technology, visit the Canadian Solar Industries Association website.