Home Energy Efficiency Loan

More in this section

Our Home Energy Efficiency Loan (HEEL) is a convenient and affordable financing option if you want to make energy efficiency upgrades to your home. The monthly payment is added to your energy bill and no down payment is required.

Financing information

Annual interest rate
6.60% (O.A.C.) for the first 5 years
Maximum financing term
5 years or up to 15 years for qualifying technologies
Manageable payments
Monthly payments made conveniently through your energy bill
  • Minimum monthly payment is $15.
  • Minimum amount that can be financed is $500.
  • Monthly installments will be applied to your energy bill. Repayment of the loan is the responsibility of the homeowner and not the tenant.
  • Additional payments may be made at any time with no penalty.
  • A $20 administration fee will apply if the loan is paid off in full during the first 6 months.
  • The loan becomes due and payable when the house is sold or transfers ownership. The loan is not transferable.
  • The cost of one upgrade cannot be split between multiple HEEL Agreements or between financing programs.

You can finance up to $12,500 per residence with these limits by technology:

Eligible upgrades Max amount by technology1 Maximum terms
air leakage sealing $7,500 5 years
ground source heat pumps $20,0002 15 years
cold climate air source heat pumps $10,000 15 years
insulation $7,500 5 years
level 2 electric vehicle charger $3,000 5 years
natural gas furnaces and boilers $7,500 15 years
solar photovoltaic system $20,0002 15 years
space heating equipment $7,500 5 years
water heating equipment $7,500 5 years
windows and doors $7,500 5 years
ventilation $7,500 5 years
central air conditioning $5,000 5 years
conventional air source heat pumps $5,000 5 years
electrical equipment upgrades $5,000 5 years
radon mitigation $5,000 5 years
1 This amount is included in the $12,500 limit per residence.
2 Total value of all accumulated Home Energy Efficiency Loans cannot be more than $20,000.

Back to top

Steps to participate

Step 1

Check to see if you are eligible

The Home Energy Efficiency Loan (HEEL) is available to eligible Manitoba homeowners with approved credit.

Your project must meet our qualifying energy efficiency upgrade requirements.

Step 2

Contact a participating supplier

To participate in HEEL, contact a participating program supplier (contractor or retailer).

The supplier works with you to ensure your project is eligible. They will help you complete a HEEL application and submit it to us on your behalf. We will review your application and conduct a customer credit review. If approved, we will notify your supplier and your project may begin.

Please note:

  • You must have approval before any work is started or any materials are purchased.
  • We do not provide a participating suppliers list or endorse any service professionals. We recommend following our tips for hiring a contractor to ensure you feel confident in finding a supplier that best fits your project’s needs.

Step 3

Complete your project

Once your project is complete, your supplier arranges for all homeowners to sign and date the Completion Certificate.

This document indicates that you acknowledge the work at your property was completed in full and authorizes us to pay your supplier directly for invoice costs.

Step 4

Pay the loan through your monthly energy bill

The monthly loan payment is conveniently placed on your energy bill.

You can make additional payments to your loan at any time. An administration fee of $20 is charged if your loan is paid in full during the first 6 months.

Back to top


Financing is available with the following conditions.

  • Manitoba Hydro must approve your application before any work is started or any materials are purchased.
  • You must be the owner of the home in which energy improvements are made.
  • You must have an active Manitoba Hydro account and be approved for credit from Manitoba Hydro.
  • The building must be your primary residence or the primary residence of your tenant.
  • Mobile homes on permanent foundations with a permanent water supply are eligible. For geothermal and solar photovoltaic systems, you must own the land where the mobile home is located.
  • Indigenous customers living in Band-owned homes are eligible for financing with a Band Council Resolution.
  • The home must be detached or semi-detached.
  • Upgrades must be made to our recommended levels.

Back to top

Qualifying upgrades

To qualify for the Home Energy Efficiency Loan, energy efficiency upgrades must be made to our specified levels.

We partnered with Efficiency Manitoba to set the energy efficiency requirements for many of the qualifying upgrades.

Windows and doors

Windows and doors


Window work must comply with either the performance or prescriptive option:

ENERGY STAR® certified performance compliance option:

  • ENERGY STAR 2020;
  • triple pane glazing;
  • minimum Energy Rating (ER) of 34 or a maximum U-value of 1.22 (0.21).

Prescriptive compliance option:

  • triple pane glazing;
  • minimum one low-e coating;
  • argon gas fill;
  • minimum 10 mm warm edge spacer;
  • non-metallic or thermally broken frame.

For a list of ENERGY STAR certified windows, visit the Natural Resources Canada website.


Swinging doors:

  • must meet ENERGY STAR 2020 requirements;
  • must have a maximum U-value of 1.22 (0.21) or minimum Energy Rating (ER) of 34.

Sliding doors:

  • must meet ENERGY STAR 2020 requirements:
    • maximum U-value of 1.22(0.21) or a minimum ER of 34;
    • triple pane glazing.

For a list of ENERGY STAR certified doors, visit the Natural Resources Canada website.

Proof of energy performance

U-values and Energy Ratings for windows and doors must be listed on the ENERGY STAR website or provided by an independent third party in accordance with the 2009 or 2014 edition of A440.2-##/A440.3-## - Fenestration energy performance / User guide to CSA A440.2-##.

Residential space heating equipment

Residential space heating equipment

  • CSA-approved high efficiency natural gas furnaces with a minimum AFUE of 92%.
    • Includes all costs directly related to the furnace upgrade such as modifications to venting, ductwork plenums, gas piping, permits, and the thermostat.
    • Installation of a high efficiency natural gas furnace is payable over a maximum 15-year term.
  • CSA-approved natural gas boilers with a minimum AFUE of 82%.
    • Installation of a natural gas boiler is payable over a maximum 15-year term.
  • CSA-approved electric heating systems and associated materials and equipment such as wiring, ductwork, valves, pumps, and motors.
  • Chimney liner.
  • Permanently connected supplementary space heating equipment.
  • All changes to combustion equipment must be done in accordance with applicable codes. Changing a combustion appliance such as a heating system may require changes to the venting system and/or water heater. The furnace should be sized in accordance with good industry practice to ensure that units are not oversized as this can contribute to discomfort.
Heat pumps

Heat pumps

Ground source (geothermal) heat pumps

  • The heat pump must be designed and installed by a certified contractor. The contractor must be recognized by the Manitoba Geothermal Energy Alliance (MGEA).
  • The geothermal heat pump must be tested and rated under CSA Standard C-13256, and installed to meet CSA C448.
  • Home must be currently heated with electric resistance heat.
  • Installer must submit a building heat loss calculation to determine appropriateness of sizing of the heat pump system.
  • Sized to provide 70% to 105% of the design heat loss of the home.

Air source heat pumps

Requirements common to both conventional and cold climate air source heat pumps:

  • Central ducted or Ductless split systems with a minimum of 2 indoor warm air supply units (indoor heads)
  • The air source heat pump unit’s performance rating certified to CSA Standard CAN/CSA-C656-05 with a minimum HSPF2 Region V >= 6.6 and SEER2 >= 15.2 (HSPF Region IV >=10 eligible until June 1, 2025.)
  • Minimum total rated heating capacity at 8.3°C of 3.52 kW (12,000 Btu/h)
  • Indoor and outdoor units and furnace must be:
    • Must be part of an AHRI matched system.
    • Installer must be a refrigeration mechanic licensed in Manitoba.
    • Product must be listed on the Natural Resources Canada energy efficient product list as a cold climate air source heat pump (ccASHP) or conventional air source heat pump (ASHP).
  • Home must be currently heated with electric resistance heat.
  • Installer must submit a building heat loss calculation to determine appropriateness of sizing of the heat pump system.

Requirements specific to cold climate air source heat pumps:

  • The system must have a variable capacity compressor with three or more distinct operating speeds, or continuously variable speed.
  • System must be rated to provide heat at temperatures of at least −25°C (−13°F) or colder.
  • Units must have a minimum COP of 1.8 at −15°C (5°F) at maximum capacity operation.
  • Heating Capacity maintenance percentage must be ≥ 70%

Design heat loss calculation for heat pump systems:

  • This calculates how much heat a particular home requires to maintain a 22°C indoor temperature on the coldest day of the year. A contractor or designer should perform this calculation based on the CSA F280-M Determining the required capacity of residential space heating and cooling appliances standard.
  • According to CSA standards, a geothermal heat pump system must be sized to handle 70 to 105% of the design heat loss of a home.
  • Systems sized to less than 100% require an electric heater to make up the difference during the few coldest days of the year.
  • A system sized to 70% costs less to purchase but has slightly higher annual energy costs, due to the auxiliary heater.
  • One benefit of a system sized to 70% is that it more closely matches your home’s cooling load, providing more comfortable and efficient air conditioning during the summer.


Insulation work must meet the following levels:

  • Attic – Final R-value of R-50;
  • Attic kneewalls – Final R-value of R-24;
  • Foundation walls – Final R-value of R-24;
  • Flat and cathedral ceiling – Final R-value of R-28;
  • Crawlspace – Final R-value of R-24;
  • Wall cavities – Final R-value of R-10;
  • Exterior walls (when re-siding) – must add a minimum of R-3.75
    • Re-siding materials may qualify for the loan when installed in conjunction with exterior wall insulation to a maximum of R-10 added.

Related building materials are also available for financing when the work is performed in conjunction with the addition of insulation. These measures include:

  • Vapour barrier material that conforms to Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB) standards.
  • Framing and fire protective (but not decorative) covering where required by building codes for perimeter basement walls being insulated. Fire protective covering includes gypsum, wallboard, or stucco. An example of decorative covering is wall panelling.
Air leakage sealing

Air leakage sealing

  • Caulks and sealants that:
    • conform to Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB) standards;
    • have good bonding durability;
    • remain flexible throughout their rated life;
    • can be painted if used as an interior product;
    • have a minimum 10-year life expectancy or guarantee.
  • Sealant foam (urethane) materials that meet the following criteria:
    • 1-part (polymeric) foam must have a Canadian Construction Materials Centre (CCMC) evaluation listing number;
    • 2-part urethane foam must be in accordance with CGSB 51-GP-23M;
    • does not contain chlorofluorocarbon (CFC);
    • comply with local, provincial and federal building and fire regulations and requirements.
  • Weatherstripping for windows, door sills, and door jambs and headers. Spring-loaded types and wood strips with open cell foam glued to the edge are not allowed.
  • Approved electrical outlet seals for light switches and electrical outlets.
  • Replacement floor drain covers that allow water to drain when required, but do not allow air or soil gas to enter the home.


All ventilation equipment must have electrical approval for use in Canada and be listed in the current edition of the HVI-Certified Home Ventilating Products Directory (Home Ventilating Institute Division of Air Movement & Control Association).

  • Unitary fans:
    • must have minimum ratings of not less than 50 CFM delivery and not more than 3.0 sones noise level.
    • cannot have incandescent lighting kits.
  • Heat recovery ventilators:
    • must be sized and installed according to the current edition of the Heating, Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Institute (HRAI) Residential Mechanical Ventilation Design and Installation manual.
Residential water heating equipment

Residential water heating equipment

To be eligible for financing residential water heating equipment must meet the minimum energy efficiency standards as administered by Natural Resources Canada in the Energy Efficiency Regulations.

For a list of compliant product models visit the Natural Resources Canada website.

  • Eligible product categories:
    • CSA-approved electric water heaters (C191.1);
    • CSA-approved instantaneous (tankless) gas-fired water heaters;
    • CSA-approved storage gas-fired water heater;
    • Chimney liner in conjunction with a qualifying water heater;
    • Drain water heat recovery systems certified to CSA B55.1 and B55.2;
    • Active residential solar water heating systems. The system must use solar hot water collectors that meet CSA Standard F379 or equivalent.
Electric vehicle chargers

Electric vehicle chargers

To finance Level 2 electric vehicle charging equipment, you must own a battery electric vehicle or plug-in hybrid registered in the Province of Manitoba.

The maximum amount eligible for financing is $3,000 per charger, including installation.

Financing is available for one Level 2 charger per vehicle. To be eligible, the charger:

  • must be new and for residential use only;
  • must have a nominal voltage rating of 208 and 240 V only;
  • must be third-party certified by ULC, CSA or ETL;
  • must be installed and connected by a licensed electrician with an electrical permit taken out for the work performed.
Solar photovoltaic systems

Solar photovoltaic systems

  • Solar PV financing is calculated based on $3,000 per kW installed, to a maximum of $20,000.
  • All customer-owned generation must meet applicable provincial, federal and municipal licenses, permits and approvals.
  • The solar PV system must be installed in accordance with the Manitoba Electrical Code Sections 64 and 84, and be inspected prior to being energized.
  • The solar PV system must be interconnected to our distribution system, including the installation of a bi-directional meter once the system is approved if required by inspector.
Central air conditioning

Central air conditioning

To be eligible for financing central air conditioning systems must meet the minimum energy efficiency standards as administered by Natural Resources Canada in the Energy Efficiency Regulations.

  • Energy performance standard for central air conditioners - seasonal energy efficiency ratio [SEER2] of 13.4 or higher.
  • For a list of compliant product models visit the Natural Resources Canada Website.
Radon mitigation

Radon mitigation

To be eligible for financing, radon mitigation must be performed through a C-NRPP certified contractor (Canadian-National Radon Proficiency Program).

Electrical equipment upgrades

Electrical equipment upgrades

  • Upgrades to electrical service entrance and panel board equipment.
  • Electrical and energy improvement work - upgrades from knob and tube wiring.

Back to top

Ineligible homes and materials

Financing is not available for the following.

  • Unoccupied homes, seasonal dwellings (summer homes and cottages), apartment buildings, garages, commercial properties, and homes under construction.
  • Natural gas and electrical materials that are not installed by an allied gas fitter or electrician licensed by the province of Manitoba.
  • Projects in progress or already completed.
  • Used equipment or materials.
  • Wiring and related equipment for new and old buildings not previously supplied with electrical service.
  • Your labour (only materials and equipment are eligible for do-it-yourself projects).
  • Labour only (labour can only be financed with a qualifying upgrade).

What if my contractor or retailer is not a participating supplier?

If you would like to participate in our residential financing programs but your contractor or retailer is not a participating supplier, they can apply to join.

Back to top

Calculate your payments

Do not enter any non-numeric characters (commas, dollar signs, etc.) other than decimal points in the entry boxes.


The monthly payment calculated here is for the initial 5-year term. The interest rates and monthly payments after the initial 5-year term will be based on available market rates.

Back to top