Buying natural gas
In Manitoba, you can choose to buy your natural gas from us or from an independent natural gas marketer. You have various rate options to best meet your individual needs. Before you decide, you should understand all your options, so that you can make the best choice for your situation.
If you currently purchase your Gas Commodity from a natural gas marketer, you will find their contact information on your Manitoba Hydro bill.
Choosing your natural gas supplier
Customers can choose whether to buy Gas Commodity from Manitoba Hydro or a natural gas marketer.
Whichever supplier you choose, we will continue to deliver the natural gas to your home or business and bill you for it.
Choosing a Gas Commodity rate option
Customers can choose a Gas Commodity rate option:
- Quarterly rate service (adjusted 4 times per year)
- This is the default natural gas service option provided by Manitoba Hydro. No contracts are required.
- The market cost is passed directly to customers without mark-up or profit.
- Gas Commodity rates are adjusted every 3 months to reflect the cost of providing this service. Regular adjustments help smooth sharp increases or decreases in daily market costs, which can occur during times of high market volatility.
- Fixed Rate Service (fixed for a term of at least 1 year)
- The Fixed Rate Service is offered by Manitoba Hydro during designated enrolment periods. Sign up to receive notifications about fixed rate natural gas services.
- Consumers choosing fixed rate service sign a contract to pay a fixed rate for Gas Commodity over a specified term – usually 1 to 5 years.
- Under a fixed-rate option, your Gas Commodity rate stays the same for the length of the contract, regardless of whether market prices go up or down.
- Choosing a fixed rate may or may not result in cost savings over the contract term.
- A fixed-rate Gas Commodity option fixes only the per-cubic-metre rate you pay for Gas Commodity. Your total natural gas bill will continue to fluctuate, depending on your natural gas use, which is impacted by many factors such as weather.
If you want to budget your energy bill payments and pay in equal monthly instalments, you may also choose to sign up for our Equal Payment Plan. It’s available to all quarterly rate and fixed-rate customers regardless of your Gas Commodity supplier.
Which service option should I choose?
Each option offers different benefits, risks, and costs. To help you make a choice, consider the following:
- the per-cubic-metre rate offered by Manitoba Hydro and the natural gas marketers for various Gas Commodity products – view current rates from the various residential Gas Commodity providers in Manitoba;
- how much natural gas you typically use;
- whether or not you wish to sign a contract and fix your rate for a period of time;
- the terms of the contract, including length, fees, and administration charges (if any);
- natural gas market conditions;
- your tolerance for risk.
Public Utilities Board
The Public Utilities Board of Manitoba (PUB) regulates Manitoba Hydro’s rates. It is an independent provincial regulatory agency whose role is to represent both customer interests and our interests by ensuring that energy rates are fair and appropriate.
The PUB must review and approve all Manitoba Hydro rate changes before they are implemented. The PUB does not regulate natural gas marketers’ Gas Commodity rates.
Customers wishing to forward comments about Manitoba Hydro to the PUB can do so either verbally at public hearings or in writing. For more information, contact the PUB directly: