Forest Enhancement Program
The Forest Enhancement Program improves and sustains Manitoba’s forest environment by funding tree planting projects.
Help us make Manitoba’s forests more attractive, diverse, widespread, and productive. Projects that may address climate change are of special interest. We encourage Manitobans to submit project proposals that will benefit their community, their region, or the province as a whole.
Guides to get you started
- Making the right start (PDF, 615 KB);
- Tree Care – Planting and maintaining your trees (PDF, 1.4 MB);
- Right Tree – Right Place (PDF, 2.8 MB).
Non-profit, non-government organizations are eligible. These include citizen, school, youth, conservation, cultural, heritage, environmental, community and service club groups.
Individuals, landowners, for-profit organizations, commercial forestry operations, federal, provincial and local government agencies, golf courses and cemeteries are not eligible for funding.
Ideal candidates for this program are non-profit organizations that have:
- a volunteer component;
- a proper planting plan;
- an educational component.
Eligible school tree planting projects promote appreciation and understanding of the role and importance of trees and sustainable forest management in communities, agricultural areas and forested areas of Manitoba.
Projects that include volunteer or in-kind contributions and that have multiple sources of funding or other tangible support are preferred.
The potential for successful implementation of the project, and the applicant’s commitment to making the project sustainable will be considered.
- are scored and ranked according to program criteria;
- will be funded according to the relative merits of each proposal;
- are evaluated by an independent Forest Enhancement Program committee that recommends appropriate funding support.
How to apply
Applications for tree planting and education projects can be requested for a 1-year period and up to a $10,000 maximum. Applications may be submitted from July 1 to November 1 for the next year.
- Download an application (PDF, 344 KB).
You must submit full budget information, site photos, and a site plan with your application. Failure to provide this information may disqualify applications from consideration.
- site planting plan;
- size and species of trees;
- tree protection being used;
- solid maintenance plan;
- education projects must have a education component;
- quotes from 3 different nurseries;
- communication strategy;
- ensure that there are no tree conflicts with overhead and/or underground infrastructure. Call or click before you dig.
Send the completed form and all supporting information to us via:
- Email: ForestEnhancementProgram@hydro.mb.ca.
Attn: Sandra Walker
Forest Enhancement Program
58080 PR 207
Navin, MB R5T 0K3.
For more information on the Forest Enhancement Program or application completion, email us or call 204-360-3365 (voicemail only).