Home Energy Efficiency Loan
Our Home Energy Efficiency Loan is a convenient and affordable financing option if you want to make energy efficiency upgrades to your home. The monthly payment will be added to your energy bill and no down payment is required.
We partnered with Efficiency Manitoba to set the energy efficiency requirements for many of the qualifying upgrades.
The loan covers qualifying upgrades for:
- windows and doors;
- residential space heating equipment;
- geothermal and cold climate air source heat pumps;
- air leakage sealing;
- residential water heating equipment;
- electric vehicle chargers;
- solar photovoltaic systems.
To see what your monthly payments may be, choose which qualifying upgrades you would like to make and calculate your payments.
- You must be the owner of the home in which energy improvements are made.
- The building must be your primary residence or the primary residence of your tenant.
- You must have an active Manitoba Hydro account and be approved for credit from Manitoba Hydro.
- The home must be detached or semi-detached.
- Mobile homes on permanent foundations with a permanent water supply are also eligible. For geothermal and solar photovoltaic systems, the applicant must be the owner of the land the mobile home is located on.
- Indigenous customers living in Band-owned homes are eligible for financing with a Band Council Resolution.
- Upgrades must be made to our recommended levels.
- Manitoba Hydro must approve the application before any work is started or any materials are purchased.
- You can finance up to $7,500 per residence, of which up to $5,500 can be applied toward the purchase of a high efficiency natural gas furnace.
- You can finance up to $10,000 per residence for a cold climate air source heat pump. The total value of all loans at one property where this technology is installed cannot exceed $10,000.
- You can finance up to $20,000 per residence for geothermal heat pumps and solar photovoltaic systems. The total value of all loans at one property where these technologies are financed cannot exceed $20,000.
- Solar photovoltaic financing is calculated based on $3,000 per kW installed.
- Maximum term is 5 years.
- The maximum term is 15 years if the loan is for a high efficiency natural gas furnace or boiler, heat pump, or solar system.
- Annual interest rate is fixed at 4.8% (O.A.C.) for the first 5 years of the loan.
- Minimum monthly payment is $15.
- Minimum amount that can be financed is $500.
- Monthly installments will be applied to your energy bill. Repayment of the loan is the responsibility of the owner and not the tenant.
- Additional payments may be made at any time with no penalty.
- A $20 administration fee will apply for complete payments prior to 6 months.
- The loan becomes due and payable when the house is sold. The loan is not transferrable.
- The cost of 1 upgrade cannot be split between 2 Home Energy Efficiency Loan Agreements or between financing programs.
Financing is not available for:
- unoccupied homes, seasonal dwellings (summer homes and cottages), apartment buildings, garages, commercial properties, and homes under construction;
- projects in progress or already completed;
- used equipment or materials;
- natural gas and electrical materials that are not installed by an allied gas fitter/electrician licensed by the province of Manitoba;
- wiring and related equipment for new and old buildings not previously supplied with electrical service;
- your labour – only materials and equipment are eligible for do-it-yourself projects;
- labour in the absence of a qualified technology;
- central air conditioning (see the Energy Finance Plan (EFP)).
How to apply
To participate in our financing programs, you must contact a registered program supplier (contractor or retailer). The registered program supplier works with you to ensure your project is eligible. They help you complete a loan application and submit it to us for approval. You must have approval before starting any work or buying materials.
We do not provide a registered suppliers list or endorse any service professionals. If you would like to participate in our residential financing programs but your contractor or retailer is not registered in our network of suppliers, they can apply to join.
We recommend following our tips for hiring a contractor to ensure you feel confident in finding a supplier that best fits your project’s needs.