More in this section

Qualifying upgrades

To qualify for the Home Energy Efficiency Loan (HEEL), energy efficiency upgrades must be made to our specified levels.

We partnered with Efficiency Manitoba to set the energy efficiency requirements for many of the qualifying upgrades.

Calculate your payments

To see what your monthly payments may be, choose which qualifying upgrades you would like to make and calculate your payments.

Windows and doors


Window work must comply with either the performance or prescriptive option:

ENERGY STAR® certified performance compliance option:

  • ENERGY STAR 2020;
  • triple pane glazing;
  • minimum Energy Rating (ER) of 34 or a maximum U-value of 1.22 (0.21).

Prescriptive compliance option:

  • triple pane glazing;
  • minimum one low-e coating;
  • argon gas fill;
  • minimum 10 mm warm edge spacer;
  • non-metallic or thermally broken frame.

For a list of ENERGY STAR certified windows, visit the Natural Resources Canada website.


Swinging doors:

  • must meet ENERGY STAR 2020 requirements;
  • must have a maximum U-value of 1.22 (0.21) or minimum Energy Rating (ER) of 34.

Sliding doors:

  • must meet ENERGY STAR 2020 requirements:
    • maximum U-value of 1.22(0.21) or a minimum ER of 34;
    • triple pane glazing.

For a list of ENERGY STAR certified doors, visit the Natural Resources Canada website.

Proof of energy performance

U-values and Energy Ratings for windows and doors must be listed on the ENERGY STAR website or provided by an independent third party in accordance with the 2009 or 2014 edition of A440.2-##/A440.3-## - Fenestration energy performance / User guide to CSA A440.2-##.

Back to top

Residential space heating equipment

  • CSA-approved high efficiency natural gas furnaces with a minimum AFUE of 92%.
    • Maximum loan for the purchase and installation of a high efficiency natural gas furnace is $5,500, payable over a maximum 15-year term.
    • Includes all costs directly related to the furnace upgrade such as modifications to venting, ductwork plenums, gas piping, permits, and the thermostat.
  • CSA-approved natural gas boilers with a minimum AFUE of 82%.
    • Maximum loan for the purchase and installation of a natural gas boiler is $7,500, payable over a maximum 15-year term.
  • CSA-approved electric heating systems and associated materials and equipment such as wiring, ductwork, valves, pumps, and motors.
  • Chimney liner.
  • Permanently connected supplementary space heating equipment.

All changes to combustion equipment must be done in accordance with applicable codes. Changing a combustion appliance such as a heating system may require changes to the venting system and/or water heater. The furnace should be sized in accordance with good industry practice to ensure that units are not oversized as this can contribute to discomfort.

Back to top

Geothermal and cold climate air source heat pumps

Geothermal (ground source) heat pumps

  • The heat pump must be designed and installed by a certified contractor. The contractor must be recognized by the Manitoba Geothermal Energy Alliance (MGEA).
  • The geothermal heat pump must be tested and rated under CSA Standard C-13256, and installed to meet CSA C448.
  • Installer must submit a building heat loss calculation to determine appropriateness of sizing of the heat pump system.

Cold climate air source heat pumps

  • The system must be a cold climate air source heat pump with a variable capacity compressor with three or more distinct operating speeds, or continuously variable speed.
  • System must be rated to provide heat at temperatures of at least −25°C (−13°F) or colder.
  • The air source heat pump unit’s performance rating certified to CSA Standard CAN/CSA-C656-05 with a minimum HSPF of 10. Units must have a minimum COP of 1.8 at −15°C (−5°F) at maximum capacity operation.
  • Heating capacity maintenance percentage must be ≥ 70% (Heating capacity at −15°C (5°F)/Heating capacity at 8.3°C (47°F)).
  • Indoor and outdoor units must be part of an AHRI matched system.
  • Product must be listed on the Natural Resources Canada energy efficient product list as a cold climate air source heat pump (ccASHP).
  • ENERGY STAR® certified.
  • Home must be currently heated with electric resistance heat.
  • Installer must be a refrigeration mechanic licensed in Manitoba.
  • Installer must submit a building heat loss calculation to determine appropriateness of sizing of the heat pump system.

Back to top


Insulation work must meet the following levels:

  • Attic – Final R-value of R-50;
  • Attic kneewalls – Final R-value of R-24;
  • Foundation walls – Final R-value of R-24;
  • Flat and cathedral ceiling – Final R-value of R-28;
  • Crawlspace – Final R-value of R-24;
  • Wall cavities – Final R-value of R-10;
  • Exterior walls (when re-siding) – must add a minimum of R-3.75
    • Re-siding materials may qualify for the loan when installed in conjunction with exterior wall insulation to a maximum of R-10 added.

Related building materials are also available for financing when the work is performed in conjunction with the addition of insulation. These measures include:

  • Vapour barrier material that conforms to Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB) standards.
  • Framing and fire protective (but not decorative) covering where required by building codes for perimeter basement walls being insulated. Fire protective covering includes gypsum, wallboard, or stucco. An example of decorative covering is wall panelling.

Back to top

Air leakage sealing

  • Caulks and sealants that:
    • conform to Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB) standards;
    • have good bonding durability;
    • remain flexible throughout their rated life;
    • can be painted if used as an interior product;
    • have a minimum 10-year life expectancy or guarantee.
  • Sealant foam (urethane) materials that meet the following criteria:
    • 1-part (polymeric) foam must have a Canadian Construction Materials Centre (CCMC) evaluation listing number;
    • 2-part urethane foam must be in accordance with CGSB 51-GP-23M;
    • does not contain chlorofluorocarbon (CFC);
    • comply with local, provincial and federal building and fire regulations and requirements.
  • Weatherstripping for windows, door sills, and door jambs and headers. Spring-loaded types and wood strips with open cell foam glued to the edge are not allowed.
  • Approved electrical outlet seals for light switches and electrical outlets.
  • Replacement floor drain covers that allow water to drain when required, but do not allow air or soil gas to enter the home.

Back to top


All ventilation equipment must have electrical approval for use in Canada and be listed in the current edition of the HVI-Certified Home Ventilating Products Directory (Home Ventilating Institute Division of Air Movement & Control Association).

  • Unitary fans:
    • must have minimum ratings of not less than 50 CFM delivery and not more than 3.0 sones noise level.
    • cannot have incandescent lighting kits.
  • Heat recovery ventilators:
    • must be sized and installed according to the current edition of the Heating, Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Institute (HRAI) Residential Mechanical Ventilation Design and Installation manual.

Back to top

Residential water heating equipment

Back to top

Electric vehicle chargers

To finance Level 2 electric vehicle charging equipment, you must own a battery electric vehicle or plug-in hybrid registered in the Province of Manitoba.

The maximum amount eligible for financing is $3,000 per charger, including installation.

Financing is available for one Level 2 charger per vehicle. To be eligible, the charger:

  • must be new and for residential use only;
  • must have a nominal voltage rating of 208 and 240 V only;
  • must be third-party certified by ULC, CSA or ETL;
  • must be installed and connected by a licensed electrician with an electrical permit taken out for the work performed.

Back to top

Solar photovoltaic systems

  • Solar PV financing is calculated based on $3,000 per kW installed, to a maximum of $20,000.
  • All customer-owned generation must meet applicable provincial, federal and municipal licenses, permits and approvals.
  • The solar PV system must be installed in accordance with the Manitoba Electrical Code Sections 64 and 84, and be inspected prior to being energized.
  • The solar PV system must be interconnected to our distribution system, including the installation of a bi-directional meter once the system is approved if required by inspector.

Back to top