The following benefits are offered to eligible Manitoba Hydro employees but may vary depending on location of work, union jurisdiction, operation requirements and individual circumstances.
- Accrue up to 15 paid vacation days per year after the first year.
- Accrue up to 20 paid vacation days after 3 years of employment.
- Employees can carry over up to 20 paid vacation days per year that can be used in addition to regular annual paid vacation.
- Employees can choose to bank vacation days for payout upon retirement or termination (subject to maximums).
- 90% of basic dental care;
- 75% of major dental care services;
- 50% of orthodontic services for children under 19 years of age (up to a lifetime maximum of $2,000).
- Prescription drugs:
- 80% annual reimbursement of prescription expenses.
- Vision care:
- maximum reimbursement for vision care expenses of $400 every 24 months.
- Health spending account:
- an additional annual credit of $550–$750 that is used for eligible health or dental care expenses (eligible medical expenses that could be claimed on your income tax).
- Massage therapy/Chiropractic:
- coverage of each expense at 80% reimbursement to a maximum amount of $350 per year per person.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) coverage for employees and their immediate family members.
- Worldwide travel health benefits.
- Other health benefits include ambulance and physiotherapy.
Pension and insurance
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan.
- Enhanced Hydro Benefit Plan.
- Paid sick leave & long-term disability coverage.
- Dependent life insurance coverage.
- Group life insurance coverage.
- Accidental death and disablement insurance coverage.
- 9-day bi-weekly work schedule which usually provides employees with every second Monday off, dependent upon position eligibility.
- 2 wellness days and $250 wellness subsidy per year that can be used to cover gym memberships, fitness & ergonomic equipment and more.
- 6 paid family responsibility days per year.
- Maternity and parental leave; top-up of E.I. maternity leave benefits to 98.8% of employees basic earnings for 17 weeks, and adoptive parent benefit ($10,000 taxable amount).
- Bereavement leave.
- Hybrid work model (remote/office work) and flextime for eligible positions.
- Fitness subsidy program.
- Discount packages for many athletic and cultural events.
We support eligible employees’ ongoing training and professional development through many paid external and internal programs.
- Paid professional membership fees (i.e., EGM, CPA, etc.) and professional development funds.
- Robust internal job posting system that allows for a variety of career paths.
- Course Award Program;
- Tuition reimbursement;
- Educational leave;
- Professional development support;
- Mentorship program;
- Extensive internal training courses and certifications;
- External training support.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Discrimination and harassment free workplace policies.
- Community Giving Program that encourages employees to give back to the communities they serve and support the causes they care about.
- Employee Volunteer Grant Program that recognizes your volunteer work in the community.
- The Manitoba Hydro Employee Fund enables employees to help co-workers and retirees in need.
- Social committee organizes numerous fun events every year.
- Award-winning energy-efficient head office located at 360 Portage Avenue in Winnipeg designed with employee comfort in mind.
In addition to our general benefits, the following are offered to our employees who work at one of our locations north of the 53rd parallel. Benefits may vary depending on location of work, union jurisdiction, individual circumstances.
- Guaranteed biweekly overtime (amount of scheduled overtime varies by location):
- North of 53 – 9 scheduled hours overtime;
- Gillam – 15 scheduled hours overtime.
- Northern Allowance biweekly rate amount is dependent on location, family status, and accommodations.
- Northern Education Supplement Assistance for dependent children may be available.
- Employee Relocation Program.
- Private corporate housing (single or family) at subsidized rental rates.
- Thompson Housing Allowance – $150 biweekly may be available.
- Alternative Gillam Housing Option Allowance – $400 to $600 biweekly may be available.
- Up to a maximum of 3 northern trips to Winnipeg where airfare or mileage is reimbursed, plus 1 paid travel day per trip.
- Paid medical trips for patient care not available in the northern community, plus 2 paid medical travel days per year.
- Up to 12 additional vacation days after 2 years of northern service.
- Upon retirement from the north, paid relocation for up to 1 year from retirement date.