Telecommunications & control
Hourly rate: $21.58 to $29.84
This 2-year training program consists of guided field experience gained by rotation through various departments and approximately 1,100 hours of classroom and hands-on learning time. Trainees will be granted Telecontrol Technician status upon successful completion of the training program.
You will be trained to install, commission, maintain and calibrate all types of telecommunications systems, including 2-way radio, microwave, telephony, teleprotection, datacom, fibre optics and remote control.
Telecontrol technicians must upgrade their skills and knowledge continuously to learn about new and developing technology.
Most telecontrol technicians work in Winnipeg; however, there are also telecontrol shops located in Brandon, Dauphin, Lac du Bonnet, The Pas, Thompson, and Gillam. All telecontrol technicians are expected to travel occasionally and may be away from home for periods of 1 to 2 weeks.
Potential candidates must:
- be a graduate of a 2-year diploma from a recognized college in electronic engineering technology, computer engineering technology, or telecommunications engineering technology;
- possess and maintain a valid Manitoba Class 5 driver’s licence (intermediate or full);
- have a strong aptitude for mathematics;
- have strong mechanical aptitude and ability;
- possess good interpersonal and communication skills;
- be able to work as a team member and adapt to change;
- be able to adapt to various tasks and work environments.
We typically advertise in September for a January recruitment, or in March for a May recruitment.
Applications must include the following information:
- current resumé and cover letter;
- any post-secondary school transcripts.
As part of the selection process, candidates will be required to write standardized aptitude tests that assess how well a candidate’s abilities match the requirements of the job. Candidates will also participate in a panel interview.
If you are interested in this program, set up a job alert from your profile by selecting “Technical” as your area of interest and enter a few key words describing this program.