Telecommunications & control
Telecommunications & control (telecontrol) technicians install, commission, maintain and calibrate all types of telecommunications systems, including 2-way radio, microwave, telephony, teleprotection, datacom, fibre optics, and remote monitoring/control of the power system. Our telecontrol shops are located in Winnipeg, Brandon, Dauphin, Lac du Bonnet, The Pas, Thompson, and Gillam.
We are not accepting applications for this program at this time. Register below to be notified when we are recruiting again.
This 2-year fully paid training program includes formal classes, lab learning time, and on-the-job training. During your paid training, you may be rotated to different work locations. After you complete your training, and successfully pass testing and evaluation, you will receive a journeyperson’s certificate.
Trainees make an hourly rate between $22.34 and $30.90. A journeyperson makes an hourly rate between $38.25 and $45.59.
All of the following qualifications are required for the training program. You must:
- have a diploma from an electronic, computer, or telecommunications engineering technology program accredited by the Canadian Council of Technicians and Technologists (CCTT) or equivalent certification as an engineering technologist with the Certified Technicians and Technologists Association of Manitoba (CTTAM).
- possess and maintain a valid Manitoba Class 5 driver’s licence (intermediate or full) or equivalent.
- have accurate colour perception.
- have an aptitude for technical skills involving computer and electronic equipment.
- be capable of interpreting schematics and wiring diagrams.
- have a strong aptitude for mathematics.
- be willing to relocate.
How to apply
Applications must include the following:
- current resumé and cover letter;
- any post-secondary school transcripts.
If selected, you will write standardized aptitude tests to assess how well your abilities match the job’s requirements and participate in a panel interview. A current driver’s abstract must be provided at this time.
Note: Register on a desktop computer or laptop – the application will not work on your mobile device.
The telecommunications & control program is not accepting applications at this time. If you are interested in this program, add a job alert to your profile. Select “Trades” and “telecontrol” as your area of interest. You will be notified when applications are accepted again.
Training program benefits
In this training program, you will not accumulate any student or trainee debt – we pay you a bi-weekly salary during the 2-year formal classes and on-the-job training. You will belong to a union and have a collective agreement.
Safety remains our top priority in everything we do.
You will receive all necessary personal protective equipment (PPE), including clothing, eyewear, and hardhats, and learn how to use and care for your PPE.