Understand and manage your natural gas bill
The main reason your bills go up and down is due to changes in the amount of natural gas you use as the outside temperature rises and falls. Very little of the variability in your monthly natural gas bills can be attributed to changes in our natural gas rates. Reduce your natural gas use and lower your bills by being energy efficient:
The most effective way of budgeting and levelling out your natural gas bills is to enrol in the Equal Payment Plan.
Your monthly natural gas bill includes several components and charges:
- Primary Gas: The natural gas received from western Canada. During a normal weather year, Primary Gas represents approximately 94% of a customer’s annual natural gas use. It can be purchased:
- on an unregulated basis from a natural gas marketer (Primary Gas is the only component of natural gas service that natural gas marketers can provide);
- from Manitoba Hydro at rates regulated by the Public Utilities Board.
- Supplemental Gas: Natural gas that we purchase to ensure supply is available when demand is higher than normal. This usually represents approximately 6% of a customer’s annual natural gas use, but does fluctuate during warmer- or colder-than-normal years.
- Transportation to Centra Gas (Manitoba Hydro): The cost of transporting natural gas to Manitoba. It includes pipeline charges and the cost of storage facilities where we store natural gas purchased in the summer for use in the winter.
- Distribution to customer: The cost of delivering natural gas to a customer’s home or business. It includes the cost of pipe and facilities, as well as the operation and maintenance costs for the distribution system and a small cost component related to unaccounted-for gas. A portion of these costs is recovered through the Basic Monthly Charge.
- Basic Monthly Charge: Pays a portion of the cost of providing dependable natural gas service and does not depend on how much natural gas a customer uses. It helps to pay for things like the maintenance of meters and underground pipelines, the cost of meter reading, and billing and record keeping.
- Billing Percentages: Show how much your gas consumption was Primary Gas and how much was Supplemental Gas. The combined Primary and Supplemental billing percentages will always total 100%. These percentages are subject to change to reflect how much of each type of supply is actually purchased. For example, the November 1, 2020 billing percentages are 94% Primary and 6% Supplemental for Firm customers, and 87% Primary and 13% Supplemental for Interruptible customers.
Customers who use High Volume Firm Service, Mainline Firm Service, or Interruptible Service will have Demand Transportation and Demand Distribution charges in addition to these bill components.
Centra Gas Manitoba Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Manitoba Hydro. Centra’s rates and terms of service are regulated and approved by the Public Utilities Board (PUB).