This article was published in October 2019 and may be outdated.
Cold winter weather is just around the corner. Follow these tips to make sure your natural gas furnace is running properly to keep your house warm:
- Ensure proper air circulation around your furnace, pipes, and appliances by keeping the area clutter-free.
- Change your furnace filter. Your furnace filter needs to be changed every three months.
- Test your thermostat. To check if your thermostat is working efficiently, turn on your furnace thermostat and monitor how it responds. It should always start without any problem.
- Check the flame of all natural gas appliances regularly – it should be blue. A yellow flame may be a sign of carbon monoxide (CO).
- It’s always a good idea to call a professional contractor to clean and service your heating system before winter sets in to avoid a more costly breakdown on the coldest day of the year.