We associate environmental protection with our large-scale capital projects as well as the work of staff whose time is fully dedicated to our environmental protection and monitoring programs, climate change initiatives, Power Smart programs, energy efficiency initiatives, environmental research and development, environmental partnership initiatives, or implementation of agreements that address project effects.
We are active with the Manitoba Education for Sustainable Development Working Group and are partners in these programs:
We adopted a sustainable development policy based on the principles and guidelines of sustainable development adopted by the Manitoba Round Table on Environment and Economy.
Read our 2014–2015 Sustainable Development Report (PDF, 2.5 MB).
Read our 2013–2014 Sustainable Development Report (PDF, 2 MB).
For copies of previous reports, as well as comments or suggestions on how we may further enhance our efforts towards sustainability, contact us.
Science has made it clear that our collective human activities are resulting in climate change. Reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and avoiding the risks associated with climate change requires a wide variety of actions that address the local and global challenges. We strive to understand and manage risks, liabilities, and opportunities related to climate change with a focus on providing leadership on social, environmental, and economic issues.
In alignment with our corporate strategic plan and existing corporate goals, we have established climate change strategies:
- understand the changing climate;
- GHG measurement and reporting;
- contribute to GHG emission reductions;
- support GHG policy and market development;
- adapt and plan.
These strategies along with our current and historical efforts, actions, and initiatives related to climate change are detailed in our Corporate Climate Change Report (PDF, 3.7 MB).
Sources of energy
We are continually exploring environmentally friendly sources of energy in order to:
- care for the environment by lowering greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and pollutants;
- develop energy options that consist of clean renewable resources such as:
- help our customers understand the economics of alternative energy sources while providing conservation programs, including low-impact Power Smart programs such as geothermal heat pump systems;
- support innovative renewable electricity projects through customer owned generation.
In recent years we have worked to reduce our environmental impact for future generations. Whether it is creating nests for the peregrine falcon on our hydro poles to reducing vehicle emissions, there are a wealth of stories here:
- conserving electricity;
- controlled products;
- fisheries and stewardship;
- land and wildlife;
- waterways management.