Downed power lines
If you see a damaged or fallen power line, stay at least 10 metres away and call 911 or your local emergency services immediately.
- Treat all downed lines as if they were energized. Stay away from them and anything that they touch, including puddles of water, flooded structures, and fences (especially metal fences).
- Never try to move a downed power line with any object. For example, a non-conductive material like wood can have moisture in it that acts as a conductor or the line could slide down the object and onto you.
- Do not try to repair damaged power lines or remove tree limbs from power lines — our qualified employees will do this.
- High winds can bring down power lines — keep children inside, and pets on a leash, to prevent accidental contact.
- Avoid our crews when they are working on power lines.
- Stay clear of low or sagging power lines.
- If not an emergency, report the outage online.
Vehicle in contact with downed power line
If power lines contact a vehicle, call 911 or your local emergency services immediately.
- Stay in the vehicle and wait for help to arrive.
- Assume all downed power lines are live and do not drive over them.
- Warn others to stay at least 10 metres away from the power lines and vehicle.
If it is dangerous to stay in the vehicle:
- Keep your feet together and hold your arms tightly at your sides. Do not step out of the vehicle one foot at a time — you make a path for electricity to ground — as this can cause severe injuries or death.
- Jump clear without touching the vehicle and the ground at the same time, and land with both feet together.
- Shuffle or hop away while keeping your feet together.
- Move at least 10 metres away from the downed lines.
Fallen tree or branches touching a power line
If you see a tree or branch that has fallen on a power line, stay at least 10 metres away, and call 911 or your local emergency services immediately.
- Do not go near the tree or anything the line may be touching. A tree touching a power line can be energized.
- Do not remove tree limbs on power lines as they may still be energized.
Many outages caused by trees can be prevented planting your tree away from power lines.